Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barry57
Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: HH5 Type A Dropping internet connection since firmware config upgrade

"Because it often fixes problems like yours, that's why."

The modems do work as  ^Ray^  highlights ..  The eci/r worked a treat on my line.

The problem has been going on since they brought out the hh5a.   I  don't really expect a fix till at least the hh8b :))

Also With the hh5 , its just a "service feature"  with certain infinity packages not a condition of service use. 

So really its just a freebie add on only covered for 12months.  Its not like the openreach modems with the 5 years ect.

Just something to consider as another option before going "VM" If the line has no fault.

0 Ratings
oldbob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Barry57

"The quick and easy fix is the use a  ECI/r or HG612 openreach modem * and use the hh5 as just simple router rather than an all singing and dancing all in one"

Thanks for your additional advice.Thinking further about this I might give this a go. How would I go about getting one of the above, is one better than the other and what is involved in setting it up, would I need BT to do something ?

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 13 of 17

Hi Bob

Ray's more of the expert to ask 😉 There are both types eci/hg612 - / normal /unlocked/ on the "well known" auction/swap sites.

I took Ray's advice about matching the modem to the green street box for the best connection, after the hh5 had messed up the line.

So I got an unlocked eci/r as I wanted to see the stats/extra features and the line has been in "Fast" mode ever since.

After the line had setttled down I also got hold of an unlocked HG612 3B -  The  Unlocked HG612 3B  is easier to use than the eci/r and can be used with the nice graphing/charting software .

Been using the unlocked  eci/r  the most as I've enjoyed learning some new things. Also the eci/r is a little bit quicker on the line .... Guru Ray knows is stuff 🙂

0 Ratings
oldbob
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Tanks for the additional info and apologies for the delay in replying. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
onslow
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

@oldbob wrote:
apologies for the delay in replying. 

No problem. Being old, we knew you'd take your time, Bob.

0 Ratings
Sinuous
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 17

I would personally just do away with the HH5... its horrible. I bought a TP-Link W9980 as suggested by other forum users such as liquorice and its amazing! Very solid, stable, great wifi range.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 17 of 17

The only thing that niggles me with 3rd party all in ones is will they support the new technology bt are bring out over the year.

There's been some good eye opening threads on Kitz about billions, tplinks ect  about them needed a software update that has not been introduced yet.

Least with the openreach modems you know bt will always update them & the good thing about the unlocked modems is you can switch off / on updates at will 🙂

0 Ratings