Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

HH5 random lights, no bb after storm?

Go to solution
Hi,

Got hh5 which has worked fine and just resigned for another 12 months following email re price changes.

We had a heavy storm yesterday afternoon, near Shipley, West Yorks.

Hh5 turned solid orange power and flashing red B and started humming, phone line has crackle on it.

Hh5 then has flashing power orange and no B light and hums, then stops humming, clicks and reverts to solid orange with flashing red B!

This cycle happens every minute.

If I turn hub off, phone line sounds ok.

Got an engineer booked for tomorrow but any thoughts?

Thanks
Tags (4)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: HH5 random lights, no bb after storm?

Go to solution
Also hub is getting very warm as it cycles through this flashing sequence...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Probably storm damage to phone line or NTE.

Do you have a new type split plate NTE like this?

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
Yes, it's that style. I have unscrewed the bottom bit and plugged in my phone and I get a dial tone. The router is off and dial tone sounds fine. When I turn the router back on again, the dial tone eventually gets noisier like a motorbike driving off.

So the noises are the same whether phone plugged into the front or the test.

Lights still cycling on the hub. Phone eventually picks up the hum from the hub.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

If you remove all of the NTE, it will leave a single test socket showing. If you have a spare microfilter, then plug that into that test socket, and plug the home hub and phone into the microfilter, and see if that works.

That is the proper test socket.

The NTE has some electrical components that are easily damaged by a storm, and can cause problems.

If it still does not work, then either the home hub is damaged, or something in the street cabinet is faulty.

If it does work, then you can leave it like that, as it will work just fine. You can replace the NTE yourself, if you want, to save money, as Openreach sometimes charge for them, if its storm damage.

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
Unfortunately there are no wires going into that other socket. The wires, solid blue with white stripe going into A and solid white with blue stripe going into B are the only wires connected.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

There are two parts to the NTE. I have not seen one myself, but I assumed that the rear section, held in by two screws, plugged into the real test socket behind, as it a user replaceable item. I am sure other people have done this to access the test socket.

I will probably need clarification from another forum member, who has Infinity and the MK3 NTE.

Did you remove both parts?

Image1.jpg

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Hi Keith, yes. The front plate has two sockets, one for phone and one for router, taking the bottom one off reveals another socket and the taking the top one off reveals another socket on the right hand side but the two wires are still connected to the top part of the faceplate I have removed.

Looks like I will have to wait until they turn up tomorrow. Hopefully as its the master socket, it will be covered as its BT equipment.

Thanks for the replies though, unless you can think of something else?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

That does not seem right. The idea behind the NTE MK 3, is that it can be fitted by anyone, without touching the external wiring that belongs to Openreach.

Was this fitted by Openreach, or an external contractor?

The external wiring would normally be connected to the test socket behind, as that has all of the test and lightning protection built in. Without that, the NTE would easily be damaged by a storm.

It does sound like to me, that the external line has been connected to the block normally reserved for the data extension wiring. This would make it very vulnerable.

You may get charged if its the NTE, as the demarcation point is the test socket behind the NTE, which is not connected in your case.

People have been charged for replacing it, as its past the test socket.

0 Ratings
shamps01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
It was open reach who fitted it when we moved in 3 years ago.
0 Ratings