cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P-a-u-l
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

HH5 what is the best replacement for this please

Please can someone advise on what the best direct plug n play replacement is I am fed up with my 2nd replacement brand new HH5 rebooting itself without warning due to the dreaded watchdog reset once or twice a day even with wifi enabled after the latest firmware upgrade!

Thank You

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: HH5 what is the best replacement for this please

There's a TP Link TD W9980
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

..............which I can recommend from personal experience.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 4 of 17

I've become a big fan of using separate modem and router setup since the  ^Guru's^ recommended them as an option for my line.

eci/r or hg612 3b modem* hooked upto a high end asus rt-ac68u seems a very popular combination on here. Also I believe the ac68u  works with the mulit cast stuff for the tv box.

Thats seem to be the biggest issues with 3rd party routers /all in ones. Getting the advanced multi cast settings for the extra tv channels, correctly set up.   {judging by the number of post on here.}

If you have the tv box thingy then it might be less of  set up "head-scratcher "  to keep the hh5 as just a simple router hooked upto an ecr/r or hg612 3b. Being all bt based everything "just works".

I have a unlocked eci/r (I'm on a eci street box)  for the line info & old tomato linksys router & don't have any update issues or disconnects. 

*{With The unlocked modems you can also see the line stats and switch on/off certain options as well..}

0 Ratings
gazpot0111645
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I have been using the Asus DSL-N66U. Much higher quality than the HH5. Doesnt disconnect so much and has features to tweak your link for a more stable or high performance connection. Wireless has got to be 10 time better.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

@gazpot0111645 wrote:

I have been using the Asus DSL-N66U. Much higher quality than the HH5. Doesnt disconnect so much and has features to tweak your link for a more stable or high performance connection. Wireless has got to be 10 time better.

Interesting, it has bad reviews for stability on Amazon.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

Well he did say "Doesnt disconnect so much"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
gazpot0111645
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

My HH5 disconnected about 10-20 times a day. Now the Asus DSL-N66U disconnects maybe every 1-2 days. A recent firmware has just been released for it which I believe fixed alot of stability issues.

0 Ratings
mitchgoeswild
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi I am interested in the one you recommend TP Link TD W9980. Will this just working straight away? I have never bought a 3rd party router before. I am also having the HH5 disconnection issue like alot off others on here are experiencing 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

@mitchgoeswild wrote:

Hi I am interested in the one you recommend TP Link TD W9980. Will this just working straight away? I have never bought a 3rd party router before. I am also having the HH5 disconnection issue like alot off others on here are experiencing 

Yep, pretty much plug and play. Just select BT VDSL in the quick setup, enter homehub@btbroadband.com as the user name, BT for password.