cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jon555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

HH5a WAN drop-outs leading to a slower connection speed - help appreciated!

So I brought a HH5 from BT, mostly to upgrade my WiFi speeds from my HH3, and they sent me a 5a. It came with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 installed. The only thing I was unhappy about was the bandwidth from the WiFi to the Ethernet was poor. I guess that's what you get with cheap hardware. I started using it on 27th June and on 16th July it updated to firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 automatically. Since then I've had a lot of WAN dropouts and my Infinity line speed has dropped from my original 28.71Mbps profile to 23.12Mbps. I assume this is the Cabinet responding to all the WAN drops?

I just had a 55 min phone call to BT support who just didn't understand the issue at all and kept going on about WiFi speeds and how my connection was fine. I said I could prove it wasn't (they said I didn't have access to that information, the WAN section of the Event Log and http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ seemed to work fine for me). The only info issues I have is that I can't go back that far in the WAN logs as it has overflowed and it only goes back 4 days now.

As I got more frustrated (I did mention 55 mins, although about 10 mins was waiting in a queue) I worked the Sale of Goods act into the conversation. I really was trying to be nice in the hope they'd be helpful, but it was a challenge. Anyway they just weren't interested and went on about the number of devices I've got connected (which is quite a number, although really only the computer and the phone do much internet access) and they COMPLETELY failed to understand I was talking about the WAN speed, not speed to the computer. So what I ended up asking for was if I could swap the HH5a - WHICH I PURCHASED (rather than being given for free) - for a HH5b (which these and other forums suggest could be better for WAN drops). Again there was zero interest.

I guess I could go back to using my old Huawei modem, but that's more power and more mains plugs so I'd rather not (if the HH5 had been a freebie maybe, but I bought it from BT).

So does anyone have any suggestions, which would be most appreciated. Any contacts at BT that understand WAN speed would also be good, as would any ideas how to do a swap for a 5b.

OldWAN.jpg

NewWAN_crop.jpg

WANdrops.jpg

Note on the last one - I didn't request the WAN drops in any way, that just seems to be how HH5s WAN drops are shown.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: HH5a WAN drop-outs leading to a slower connection speed - help appreciated!

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

if now using the hh5a have you turned off smart setup?

did you split the 2 networks  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

I don't think you will be able to swap a 5a for a 5b as you bought a hh5 and it is entirely random which one you get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jon555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Yes, I choose the WiFi channel myself after doing a survey of what the neighbours used. I have no issue with 2.4GHz/5GHz connections as my WiFi card's software sees them as different connections and remembers I want 5GHz. However as I said my issue is the WAN drop-outs (I assume Dynamic Line Management is causing the speed loss, so really I just need to solve the drop-outs and hopefully it will improve).

If I could also improve the WiFi-Ethernet connection speed that would be nice (I do wonder if the "B" with its Broadcom chip is better), but seems unlikely... the Ethernet connection is 1GHz full duplex and I have a 950Mbps WiFi connection and I can write at 11MB/s to the device, it's about 4x that if the link is all Ethernet - BTW the Ethernet switch in the HH5a seems to have good performance, just not via it's port to the WiFi hardware.

In the meantime here's the pictures I left out of last time...

Before:

OldSpeedTest.jpg

After:

NewSpeedTest_crop.jpg

I also already had the stuff you asked for, I ran it again (this is the new one) and it's identical to last time:AvailabilityChecker_crop.jpg

Cheers

Jon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
everon
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I had the same issue as you regarding the Hub 5. I ordered a new one from BT and specifically asked for a 5B and thery decided to send me a 5A, called them up and complained repeating what i stated and they basically told me that you cannot choose between a 5A or 5B and that you get whatever you are sent.

Now I also got the same constant reboots which are totally random. It seems like the Hub 5 internal modem is faulty tbh because as soon as I reconnected my old modem instead of using the inbuilt 5 modem the problem vanished without trace, and since i have not had a single reboot.

People will tell you its your line blah blah blah but in my opinion is that the Hub 5 A or B version internal modem is a pile of bleep. I was told by "guru's" on this forum to put the Hub 5 as a doorstop and either buy TP Link TD-W9980 or a bllion router which has a decent inbuilt modem or go back to my old 4 and echolife 612.

In the end I bought a Billion router as it has better G.inp support than the TP Link TD-W9980 upon reading complaints in other forums (seems some dodgy firmware for the 9980) Just my opinion on this so buy whatever you choose and or are advised by others here.

Sorry its not the answer you are looking for but this is how i resolved my problem with the 5B

0 Ratings
Jon555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

No problem - all responses gratefully received, plus the info on getting a 5b was useful. If all else fails the plan is to get a DrayTek 2860AC as I've had good experiences with them (the company, not that particular product) in the past, but it's a ton of cash and at a minimum I'd like my HH5a money back... plus World Peace of course (thought I'd add an easy one so I might at least get something out of this).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

In the end I bought a Billion router as it has better G.inp support than the TP Link TD-W9980 upon reading complaints in other forums (seems some dodgy firmware for the 9980) Just my opinion on this so buy whatever you choose and or are advised by others here.

Can you point me to the link please, or is this historical pre the May firmware upgrade?

I would agree the Billion has better stats capability, but doesn't have 5Ghz wireless. Not convinced about G.Inp capability though. However, it is difficult to tell on the TP LInk as nothing is visible.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

@licquorice They've released a new Billion router with support for the 5GHz band: it costs about £150 on Amazon though atm. The cheaper router (costing £60) just has 2.4GHz band as already known.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@SuperSajuuk wrote:
@licquorice They've released a new Billion router with support for the 5GHz band: it costs about £150 on Amazon though atm. The cheaper router (costing £60) just has 2.4GHz band as already known.

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of that. But  was comparing like for like pricewise.

0 Ratings
everon
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I think as you said the majority of the problems were before that beta firmware rollout in may, seems that perhaps they ironed out the issues that was going on with the tplink. I just did some reading and took the less complained about route in honesty and that led me to the Billion Bipac 8800AXL for £150.