Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

HH6 - RSSI better for BT worse for me ?

Hi all,

Been using my HH6 for a week or two now, with rather mixed results.

Some observations, curious if it's just me or everyone seeing this ...

Slightly stronger signal than my old HH4 all around the house.

Mode1 - almost unusable due to drop outs mostly on 2.4Ghz devices

Mode2 - less drop outs, but again not great on 2.4Ghz devices, however hardly any issues on my MotoX when I disable 2.4Ghz support.

Mode 3 - just trying it as of this morning, I'll find out when the rest of the family are back later with their phones !

Not sure how it's happening, but I see the three expected SSIDs, two BT and one mine "Home" and I do appreciate the "Home" signal strength is better than my old HH4 - but the two BT SSIDs consistently report a better RSSI than mine.

Here's the current list, I'm running in Mode3 so no bonding, but in Mode2 I saw the same ...

Capture.JPG

I'm happy to do the give and take thing and I appreciate my traffic will always take priority but it's annoying my devices keep connecting via the BT-WiFi app when they see the free SSIDs with a better signal.

This might just be how I've configured the BT WiFi app on my phone, but even if it is, I do not expect the router to have such a difference in signal strength especially in the 2.4Ghz.

I have my HH6 sat in the same place as I had my old HH4 and wired connections have been pretty spot on except for one minor issue where I had one-way traffic on two of the interfaces, which was "fixed" by a reboot.

Thanks,

Roy

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH6 - RSSI better for BT worse for me ?

Just to add, with the HH4 I didn't have any issues with 2.4Ghz connections shared SSID with 5Ghz.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Turns out, even though when changing modes it doesn't say so, a router reboot makes a difference.

I decided to restart it and post reboot the capabilities offered to the clients has changed ....

Capture.JPG

I was a bit puzzled when mode3 still offered ac when it says it's the slowest option !

And as you can see all three SSIDs now have the same RSSI.

It's IT - just switch it off and on again !

I might go back to mode 2 and reboot again in case when I went from 1 to 2 it didn't really do what it was meant to.

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Changed to mode2, restarted router, iPhone (using BT WiFi app) connected to FON.

I've manually connected to "Home" and will see if it sticks there.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

I'm not sure exactly what Mode 1, 2 or 3 actually are. The help is less than.... well helpful. Interesting that a reboot had an effect... though that could of course simply be coincidence.

You should also consider before rebooting too often as you might end up foul of DLM thinking you line is unstable and reducing the speed to 'help' Smiley Tongue

Regards

Ozzig
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

@smf22 wrote:

You should also consider before rebooting too often as you might end up foul of DLM thinking you line is unstable and reducing the speed to 'help' Smiley Tongue

**bleep** hell ! - That didn't even cross my mind ! Smiley Surprised

And whilst you were posting your reply I was rebooting again back to see what mode1 would do ! Smiley Frustrated

Incidentally, FON initially came up with a better RSSI so my iPhone connected to it, but now "Home" is a tad better, but my iPhone didn't budge, so I manually swapped over again.

I'm sure there used to be an option on the WiFi app to select a home network, presumably in case this happened.

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

More issues since ... Re: HH6 - RSSI better for BT worse for me ?

More observations, it was fine on Mode1 for 2 days, then this morning it kept disconnecting a Samsung S4 mini and my iPhone 5C on 2.4Ghz.

The only thing in the logs are these lines ...

Device <MAC address> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_PRIV2G])

Also tried connecting to FON with both phones and both were dropped off.

Changed to Mode3 - no reboot this time and no change on the phones and both connected.

Somewhat disappointed, so far.

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Re: More issues since ... Re: HH6 - RSSI better for BT worse for me ?

Current service ...

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings