cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jonabob87
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Half of my town has FFTC enabled, half does not.

I work on the internet, and I have to transfer files a fair amount so I rely on my internet and I've been keeping track of FTTC's rollout heading my way for the last year.  Since late 2011 it's said on the BT Infinity site and on Samknows that FTTC was coming in 30th August 2012 to my area.

Half way through August I looked up the BT Infinity site and found that the date had been changed to 30th December 2012.  Phoned up BT support and they said it's just a placeholder and that FTTC will reach my area between 30th August and 30th December.

My mate told me his brother, who lives a few hundred metres north of me, has fibre optic, so I looked up the site again and found the date had been pushed back to 30th June 2013.  Checked Samknows and it says "Available in some areas".

Doesn't seem fair for FTTC to be enabled in one set of houses but not on the houses right next to them.  What's this all about?!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Half of my town has FFTC enabled, half does not.

Within an exchange area there will be some customers who can't get BT Infinity. There are several reasons why this could be the case:

Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet.

You may get more information from this site http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ enter your post code
if you see a yellow pin then click on it and you will be able to see infomation about your cabinet

The availability checker at www.bt.com/infinity has the latest detail about what speed your line can provide

Jonabob87
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, that is very helpful. So would you say that this June 2013 date is also a placeholder, given it looks like this is more an unplanned delay than an actual setting back of the date?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

There is a possibility there is as you suspect an unplanned delay although dates do change sometimes quite suddenly
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Half the Town has it and the other half doesn't?

Every Exchange that has FTTC is like that, in fact when an Exchange area is upgraded for FTTC Services on average only 60% of the cabs connected to it are connected to a RDSLAM.

0 Ratings