cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Half speed uploads

Go to solution

Hi all,

Just come across to BT from PlusNet where is was getting DL - 52mb UL 17mb and for some reason my download has been cut nearly in half with BT at 9.995.  I have spoken to tech support who has said that this is the max I can get with BT.  But on checking the HomeHub log I can see the max speed is 16.86 but actual is 9.995 (attached photo). What is happening here? Tech support seem to have wiped their hands of it and said nothing they can do.  I am disabled and need the higher rates of upload for video conferencing for my appointments.  I know they do not guarantee upload speeds but cant see why I have been cut in half, and the past 3 ISPs have all been ~17mb.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

BT SPeed.jpg

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Half speed uploads

Go to solution

check MYBT for your order and see if your package is shown as Fibre 1.  fibre 1 would make sense as you cannot from your stats get the max speed of 55mb for fibre 1 so being on fibre 2 seems a waste unless you want fibre 2 and extra cost with faster up speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks @imjolly  for your reply.

I have come back on the £20 Home Essentials package which I was lead to believe was fibre 2? There was a major mess up with the order as I want meant to come across with phone and broadband but for some reason the person who took the order did it wrong, so my phone line didn't move and got cut off so only have broadband currently (new order for phone in place yesterday and hoping to get my old number back).   Would this affect which package I would have been put on due to the phone line not being in the order?

I have attached photo of the Essentials package I signed up for and the speeds I should be getting.  But for some reason Tech support seem to believe 9mb is the max my line is capable off.  I did mention to them that i thought maybe a mistake was made on the original order and maybe has put me on the wrong package, but this was ignored.

Plan.jpg

MyBT doesn't seem to be working either, says errors have occurred.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

the essential plan will have up speed for package of 10mb which is what you are getting.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

I think I worded it wrong, I am on an "essentials plan", but it is the second of the 2 plans in the picture, the Unlimited Fibre Plan, which says I should get between 13-18mb upload.  Just to add my friend recommended me to this plan as they are on the same one, and they are getting the full upload speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

@imjolly 

This is confusion caused by BT's idiotic use of "Essential" as the name of the restricted 36Mb package & also the name of the discounted social tariff.  @Stoneblade says they're paying £20pm, which would be the Fibre 2 equivalent on the social tariff, so almost certainly on the wrong profile. 

Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

@rbz5416 thanks for clearing it up, haha I spent 3 hours on the phone with BT this morning and confusing myself let alone anyone else.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

you are probably right

@Stoneblade 

can you check MYBT and see what package is shown on last order.  if it is home essential package and not just essential then need to see if mods can help

Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

@imjolly MYBT on the web doesn't seem to have my new account number, but my 2 old account numbers.  In the BT app on my phone it has the new account number but doesn't allow me to check my broadband details, comes up with an error.  It was about 3 days ago I went live with broadband, so might be down to that?

Appreciate all your help.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

@Stonebladewrote:

@rbz5416 thanks for clearing it up, haha I spent 3 hours on the phone with BT this morning and confusing myself let alone anyone else.

Only the Moderators on here can assist you with this & with the best will in the world, that's going to be a few days at the earliest. In my experience the only other way to get any sense out of BT on the phone is via the Connections team. At least they seem to have some understanding of what BT provide & how it should work! It might be worth calling back & asking to speak to them.