cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Halo 1 or Fibre 1 downgrade

I'm currently paying £45.49 for Halo 1 and have received the Black Friday deal offering an upgrade to Halo 2 for £42.49. This lead me to looking into whether I need Halo at all – and I don't think I do. I just need basic fibre and pay-as-you-go-calls.

If I enter my details on the orders page of the MyBT website it recognises my address, customer number and telephone number. It suggests Fibre Essential or Fibre 1 at only £26.99.

That’s perfect for me. I don’t need all the extras offered by Halo. I just need basic fibre and pay-as-you-go-calls.

If I proceed through the order process, I get right to the end before being told that Fibre 1 is not available to my address and that I can only have Halo 1 or Halo 2.

If I go about this the other way and try to order Halo for my address I get told that Halo 1 or Halo 2 are not available at my address (even though I currently have Halo 1) and that Fibre Essential or Fibre 1 are they way to go.

Why does BT make it so difficult to downgrade? Do I REALLY have to call and hold on for ages before being pressurised into upgrading to a product I don’t want?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Halo 1 or Fibre 1 downgrade

halo 1 and 2 are just add-ons to your broadband package they are not separate packages

to downgrade you would be best talking to options team on 0800800030 and see what you can negotiate  remember if you are in fixed term contract and downgrade may result in a fee but see what you can negotiate - especially with deals for Black Friday

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realise that Halo was an add-on. I don't recall it being sold that way when I agreed to it. I'm sure I was told that Halo was "replacing" the product I used to be on. I am currently out of contract and looking to save money, but really didn't want to have to call the options team. Shame you can't "downgrade" on-line.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

this is halo   https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/bt-halo/what-is-bt-halo-and-how-can-i-get-it...

phoning options team should be ok as uk based and should be able to negotiate a good deal especially just now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

I knew it would be difficult!

Called the options team. Got through after 27 minutes (not too bad, considering).

Explained what I needed and that I could see the ideal package on the BT website as a Black Friday Deal.

Adam, the customer support guy told me he had been briefed about the Black Friday deals but they were not on his system so he’d have to transfer me to Sales Support.

Another long wait before Adam’s back on the line informing me that Sales Support  cannot access the deal either. They know all about it, but cannot offer it to me.

He suggests I call back tomorrow in the hope that the Black Friday deals are added to the system overnight………

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Annoying but promising that if you get through tomorrow you will be able to negotiate a better deal. I suppose the deals are listed as Black Friday deals so not available until Friday

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

The normal BT response is that downgrade from Halo 1 is not possible.  Whilst there is no technical reason why not I assume it is a marketing decision to maintain their revenues.

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Same story as yesterday - they knew about the Black Friday deal but it wasn't on their system. The lady I spoke to said it was probably only for new customers. I pointed out the Ofcom ruling that says BT has to offer the same deals to out-of-contract customers as it does to new customers. She wasn't aware of that rule.

After putting me on hold, she came back and offered me Halo 1 at £35.99 or Fibre 1 at £27.99. The Black Friday deal is Fibre 1 at £26.99, 3 months free and a £60 rewards card.

I took the £27.99 offer, although it still irritates me that BT can get away with ignoring the Ofcom ruling.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

@grahamm1 

worth the phone call to options team that is a big saving on what you were paying

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Yes, happy that I got that big saving, but still irritated that I couldn't get the Black Friday deal. The Black Friday deal was lower monthly price + 3 months free, + £60 BT giftcard, so I've lost out by £160 over the 24 month contract.
0 Ratings