cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Halo 3 (FTTC) extremely slow upload speeds (less than 1mbps)

@coleyjf 

remember the guaranteed speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to your router not download speed to a device

as others posted your hub stats would be great assistance for help with your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

@coleyjf 

"Only about 30meters from the cab" , "50+ download and 10+ upload" , "guaranteed 43mbps+ download".

For comparison, (only!), I am approx 50 metres from our cabinet.

Currently. my router says that if it wasn't contractually restricted, our Maximum Data Rates are 106.7Mbps down and 35.6Mbps up - so it has no problems maintaining a stable connection at the contracted 80/20. Our minimum guaranteed download speed is sixty something plus.

It does seem to suggest that all might not have been well with your service for some time, prior to this recent problem?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

There is something definitely not right, if only the OP would post his hub stats we might get a clue.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

Hi all .

I've been out today so not got access to my new router's admin password for the stats.

I will get them soonest, and I realise that halo3 is an add on and that there isn't a guaranteed upload speed, though the last email I got from the system stated that is should be better than 10mbps.

Referring to previous comment, the last major change I had was going onto digital/ip  phones but that was a year ago and the ststem has been fine for most of that time. 

Cheers

Jim (coleyjf)

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

Hi , some info. Apologies for the formats 

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number2207119223
Firmware versionv0.42.00.10167-BT (Mon Oct 16 12:37:13 2023)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.80 11_07_2023
DSL uptime1 days 2 Hours 37 Mins 2 Secs
Data rate800.0 Kbps / 57.7 Mbps
Maximum Data rate11.0 Mbps / 58.6 Mbps
Noise margin14.5/6.1
Line attenuation5.6/19.6
Signal attenuation5.6/22.3
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent / received517.0 MB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
Public Wi-FiActive
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-GHAGNX
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-GHAGNX
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel36)
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC address18:58:80:3C:BE:FA
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

___________________________________________________________________________________

some more: 

Broadband Availability Checker
Address 41, LEICESTER on Exchange GLENFIELD is served by Cabinet 26
By submitting a query into this checker you accept Terms of Use for this checker.
DN/ALID/UPRN Checker
Address Checker
Featured Products Downstream Line
Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate
(Mbps)
Downstream
Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability
Date
WBC SOGEA Availability
Date
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 52.9 39.4 13.6 8.2 35 Unavailable Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 51.8 35 13.3 7.2 32.4 Unavailable Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1.0 to 4.0 Available
SOADSL Max Up to 2.0 -- 1.0 to 3.5 Available
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 1 -- -- --
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal Y
SOADSL Restriction N
FTTP is not available.
The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme
As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply
SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication
Providers' networks and within customer premises.
In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.
If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service
ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal
stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.
Thank you for your interest
Privacy - Terms

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

Your download speed on a good noise margin is appropriate for a distance of around 500m not 50m , so either you are not ‘wired’ to the cabinet you think you are or your cabinet is linked to another cabinet and your VDSL is from that ( although that’s unlikely) , your upstream noise margin is very poor 14.5dB , the target margin is 6dB …so either your line is faulty , or possibly your router is faulty, have you tried a factory reset of the router , and do you  have your   router connected to the master socket test port ( so as to eliminate any dodgy internal wiring ) when conducting any testing ? 
If the router is OK ( possibly been replaced already ) and the OR tech has confirmed the cable pair is OK , then a ‘lift and shift’ , moving you to a different port in the same VDSL cabinet seems appropriate, in case it’s the actual individual VDSL port you are using , that is faulty .

I’m still curious though about the discrepancy between how far you think it is to the VDSL cabinet and the line statistics indicating that you are out by a factor of 10x , FWIW the DSL  predicted speed is in line with a 500m distance not 50m as that’s 52Mb ish 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

Thanks for that ,

The router has been replaces as has the NTE so they aren't the issue. They had supposedly done a line test ( where's SALT when you need it 🙂 ) but I'll relay yiur thoughts to the desk when I speak tomorrow.

Thanks again

Now to bed 

Cheers  Jim 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Bit more history as well, I was half asleep last night when I answered!

I was getting about 57mbps at the router up till recently (connected direct by Ethernet cable to my laptop), also yes the line does go straight to the NTE and there are no other sockets wired anywhere now ( I took all those extensions out about the time I went FTTC)  As to line problems , the helpdesk did say they had tested and I "think" the engineer did as well but not sure about that, he certainly should have done and he said he was stumped as to why the upload was so slow?  I did have a pair go down in the  UG feed to the house many years ago low A-B so there may be more of that, but I did have two exchange lines fed on that cable for many years after that  ( my home line and a BT service line) so there should be another good pair there. (also used to have the old 1+1 carrier in the past!)

Just for info I was a BT engineer for nearly 38 years myself though the last 25 of them were not "in the field" as such but as a System engineer and then SEM. 

Cheers and Thanks 

Jim ( coleyjf) 

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

I wonder if you are connected 'leg and leg' rather than one pair or the other. The imbalance might be the cause of the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

A loss of higher frequencies above 8.5MHz would impact on the upload speed, and poor pair balance can cause this.

adsl vdsl spectrum.jpg

0 Ratings