cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Handback Threshold

Apologies in advance, when doing a DSL/Line check there is a harnback threshold, which I believe is the lowest speed you should be able to expect before BT/Openreach accept that the service can be terminated for breach (of contract). 

There are two hand back speeds, one for a clean circuit and on for an impacted circuit.

Question: How do we know if our FTTC installations are clean or impacted as this seems critical to the calculation?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Handback Threshold

The handback threshold is there for the ISP to give you a minimum guaranteed speed when you first take out a service and you would get an email stating exactly what that is.

Why not just tell us what your problem is and we can take it from there.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

I have a back-up FTTC service and using the speed checker with 'MY BT' (directly connected to the SH2) my download speed is often between the handback threshold for clean/impacted. Curiously, my Stay Fast guarantee is 150Mb (which is obviously wrong for FTTC).

So, if I complain Bt may say my Line is clean (and therefore in breach), or dirty, in which case I have to suck it up.

So my question remains, how do I know if my line is clean or dirty?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Ok, so we now know you are on FTTC. Is this a VDSL or G.Fast connection. VDSL will go up to 80mb and G.Fast will go up to 330Mb. Both can be delivered via FTTC. How are you conecting wired or wireless?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I'm in a relatively small village, so G.FAST is not an option currently. This line is up to 80Mb (or 76, whatever VDSL/FTTC), but has varied widely above and below the various thresholds. Unfortunately from he checker stats  I have no idea if my line is 'impacted' or 'clean'. As I've stated , this is a backup line so I'm not getting my knickers in a twist, but if push come to shove I would like to understand the science and provide evidence if I need to complain. This seems to be a failing on the open reach line test, as they know when FTTP is available and an ONT is installed, so I'm puzzled that they don't know/indicate if any equipment/line conditions exist on the circuit that would 'impact' performance?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

It would help the forum member help you if you could post the stats from your hub and also the results from the dslchecker

have you checked if having connection problems to see if there is any line noise by dialling 17070 option 2. Should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Before you can be released penalty free from a contract, attempts to get your line above the minimum threshold are made, so if there is anything ‘impacting’ the lines performance, that would be attended to during this process , so it’s a moot point anyway.....FWIW, if you had poor internal wiring , or still had the bell wires connected on extension sockets , or had  your router connected  to a cheap telephone extension cable , that is likely to ‘impact’ your lines performance , so your speed may well fall into the impacted range, if your router is connected in the master socket test port, the line isn’t likely to be impacted, and you should expect clean line speed, so any initial complaint about ‘speed’ , would result in the ISP getting you to connect to the master socket test port....obviously if speed jumps to above any minimum, whatever the issue is, is yours and not with the ISP or OR

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Thanks @imjolly , I manage many many FTTP/FTTC  connections for my staff, so while I have a personal backup connection that is sub-par, I'm more interested in the precedent as a whole...

On any line check Openreach lists a max/min/handback speed for a specific address depending on whether the circuit is clean , or impacted.

The checker goes on to tell me if an ONT is installed/active etc. etc., but does not tell me if the line is 'impacted' by bridge Taps or any other current or legacy tech that might  define a line as 'impacted'.

This information would be really useful on the occasions that we have poor service, as at the moment it feels like BT/Openreach can claim that the line is impacted without obvious evidence?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Thanks @iniltous , I get this, and as far as internal wiring in concerned I am a NINJA since 1982. 

I'm feeling a bit frustrated that I cannot properly convey my point!

Openreach  Have a clean  and an impacted speed for my circuit, but no guidance as to which I can expect?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

the way to make progress on this customer help customer forum is to post connection information but that is entirely up to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings