Message 1 of 103

Hanging Up Phone Reboots Router.

BT Smart Hub 6

Firmware SG4B10000B316

Downstream sync speed:40.08 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:8.91 Mbps

Network uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 20 Minutes

System uptime:  0 Days, 0 Hours 22 Minutes

The smart hub also reboots randomly and also if the phone is used when the receiver is replaced on the phone base the smart hub drops connection and starts to reboot cycle.

I have been through all the on line tests which although at one point a potential fault was mentioned on further tests the online diagnostics came up as OK.

I have also removed the face plate including the inbuilt filter plate and used a new plug in filter sent with the smart hub plugged into the backmost test socket; I have tried two different corded phones with the same result for each phone used when the receiver is replaced on the phone base the smart hub reboots.

There is no discernible noise on the line.

Any advice please.

Am I getting too old for this???
0 Ratings
102 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 103

Re: Hanging Up Phone Reboots Router.

What do you mean by discernable noise? Is there any noise or not? A low background hub can be expected from cordless phones that's why it's always best to have a spare corded one.

There is a plus to a corded phone as well, it will work in the event of a power cut, your cordless ones won't.

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 3 of 103

Hello pippincp

Thank you for your response.

As an older person and listening to a device which uses electrical powered to with my hearing capabilities then no discerable noise will be equivalent to your no noise. There will be no low background hub as all the phone I use are corded phones and corded phones should always be used when carrying out tests.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 103

You need to rule out a problem with your internal wiring. To do this if you have a master socket with a removeable lower faceplate (2 screws) then remove it and connect to the test socket with a filter. If the problem persists then you need an engineer visit.

BTW you're not too old yet!Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 5 of 103

***edited by Mod***

Hello pippincp

Thank you for your response.

As you will  see from my original post:-

I have been through all the on line tests which although at one point a potential fault was mentioned on further tests the online diagnostics came up as OK.

I have also removed the face plate including the inbuilt filter plate and used a new plug in filter sent with the smart hub plugged into the backmost test socket; I have tried two different corded phones with the same result for each phone used when the receiver is replaced on the phone base the smart hub reboots.

So it seems as you advise an engineer visit will be required.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 6 of 103

Hello All

Random reboot of Smart Hub today speed now dropped more than half.

BT Broadband /

BT Infinity /                          : BT Infinity

BT Infinity 3 and 4

Firmware version: SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated: 29-Jul-2017

Downstream sync speed: 13.10 Mbps

Upstream sync speed: 8.72 Mbps

Network uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 29 Minutes

System uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 31 Minutes

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 103

Hi @OldGreyHair,

I'll be able to take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 8 of 103

Many thanks for your interest

Total mess up by BT.

The line total length to exchange 2.7km 600m of which from is to cabinet in Tweed Street (length comfirmed by OR engineer) has been remotely tested to death no improvement. 

So the poor BT customer care is true, very sad only been with BT 6 week never mind 12 months passes very quickly at my age as does the 8 weeks to the Ombudsman's Service.

An Engineer appointment was booked for the 14 Sep 2017 between 13:00 to 18:00 and confirmed by email.

The Engineer phoned on his mobile  at 9:59 14 Sep 2017 but failed to leave a message on the answering facility. He later phoned at 16:09 14 Sep 2017 to say he would be at the property between 16:30 to 18:00 14 Sep2017 he did not  keep this appointment as there was no further communication from the Engineer by 18:30 we decided he was not going to arrive. At 18:48 the door bell rang my wife answered the door it was the Engineer, he explained he had come to check the line. My wife explained that the appointment was for between 13:00 and 18:00, and he had phoned to say he would be at the property between 4:30 and 18:00. The Engineer had not had the courtesy to let us know he would be arriving outside the appointment times. He again said he could check the line. My wife explained that we were in the middle of our delayed evening meal and we would be visiting at the hospital to which he just rudely walked of no apology for arriving late, nothing.

Apparently according to online chat BT's chosen engineer was the wrong kind anyway Landline Engineer according to the online person it needs to be Broadband Boost Engineer.

After I had made very special arrangements to be available during the BT appointment times this is appalling and an example of BT's disdain towards its clients.

I have been using the wrong term apparently the Smart Hub does not reboot it drops connection.

The router smart hub drops out randomly and if the corded phone is used when the receiver is replaced on the phone base the smart hub will drop out. I have removed the face plate including the inbuilt filter and used a new plug in filter sent with the smart hub I have tried two different corded phones in this configuration with the same result for each phone used when the receiver is replaced on the phone base the smart hub drops connection. The phone and smart hub remain connected to the test socket with the brand new plug in filter.  After a manual  smart hub reboot switch off/on after 5 mins the download sync remains well below The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 25Mb.

Three drops in connection to day download sync is now 10Mbps

Awaiting contact from a complaints manager after 1 hr online chat last night and another 1hr today no resolution in sight.

Once Again Thanks For the offer of your help much appreciated.

0 Ratings
OldGreyHair
Contributor
Message 9 of 103

Hello All

Does the down SNR look big on this?

It seem excesive to me.

Firmware version: SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated: 29-Jul-2017-

Board version: 1.0

Gui version: 1.64.0

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 6 Hours 29 Minutes 5 Seconds

Data rate: 7.20 Mbps / 10.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate: 8954 / 31439

Noise margin: 9.1 dB / 24.8 dB

Line attenuation: 24.4 dB

Signal attenuation: 0 dB / 24.4 dB-

VPI / VCI: 0/38

Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type: Fast Path

Data sent / received: 4131 MB Uploaded / 4300 MB Downloaded

Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi: Active

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 103

I would strongly suggest you take up the offer of help from the mods. They are a UK based team with an excellent record of getting problems like this solved.

0 Ratings