cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Automan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Has My House Moved Further From The Cabinet?

Had Infinity for nearly two years and it has just got slower and slower 😞

Looking at a screen dump I saved Feb 2014 I got these results...

FEB 2014

When I run the test today I get this result

JAN 2015

Why the difference?

When I signed up I was quoted a speed which it seems is now not obtainable.

I thought things were supposed to get better, not worse?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Has My House Moved Further From The Cabinet?

Crosstalk. The more VDSL lines in a cable the worse your signal gets until (if) BT introduce vectoring.

Edit:  My experience will give you an idea of the effect crosstalk can have.The cabinet in our village was enabled for Infinity just before Christmas.I was one of the first to be activated and at that time my max data rate was in excess of 60M. I am at the end of a copper cable that serves about 50/60 houses of which I assume at least half have now got VDSL. My current max data rate is 48M!

0 Ratings
Automan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

So either BT did no proper testing before product launch and did not know the speed would drop.

Or, they knew the speed would drop and have missled all their customers?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Vectoring trials are currently underway, it is new technology. I think it was a question of either introducing VDSL early and accepting a certain amount of effect due to crosstalk and fixing it with vectoring once the technology matured or delaying the introduction of VDSL. Which would you prefer?

Edit: Just found this article, not sure if it breaks forum rules but don't think so. http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

0 Ratings
onslow
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Many suspect that vectoring is going to turn into a disappointing but very expensive damp squib.  The projected gains from vectoring, in terms of average sync speed improvement - are all industry figures. Provided by the DSL chipmakers and DSLAM suppliers; who have their own vested interests in selling new vectoring equipment.

That's not to saying that vectoring won't work. In most circumstances we will see some improvements to our sync speeds.   It's just that those improvements in many cases won't meet expectations. We may only recover a fraction of the bandwidth that we've already lost to crosstalk.

In many cases the gains from vectoring will be minimal, especially when the worst 'disturbers' - those lines causing the most FEXT (crosstalk) - will probably be outside the vectored group of subscriber lines.  Those worst disturbers will include the lines carrying ADSL all the way from the exchange;  the signal-processing behaviour of those ADSL lines cannot be modified by the vectoring software in the FTTC street DSLAM, and consequently they will continue to induce the worst crosstalk.

And rolling out vectoring is going to be much more costly than BT wants to admit.

Take the most common DSLAM in the street cabinet.  That's the Huawei MA5616T.  Capable of holding four linecards with 48-ports per card.  Fully populated with all four line cards to serve 192 subscriber lines, the MA5616 costs about £4,000 new.

To bring that DSLAM up to vectoring-capable, Huawei initially promised it would require just a firmware upgrade, and a new backplane in the DSLAM.  The backplane is where the linecards actually slot into; linking the cards to the DSLAM central controller unit (CCU).   Just a firmware re-flash, and a dumb bit of hardware to replace? Not an expensive upgrade then? Inconvenient to swap-out, maybe, but not too costly.  Maybe £50 per DSLAM for the vectoring upgrade bill?  If only!

Then the truth came out..  To become vectoring-capable, all those Huawei DSLAMs will actually need new replacement (VCMM) linecards; a costly new controller (CCUE) unit, and beefed up power supplies, and of course new firmware.    By the time all that kit has been replaced, and the total cost factored in, the whole DSLAM may as well be changed.  The only thing that doesn't need changing to make the Huawei DSLAM vectoring-capable is the rack case and the fan tray!

As for the other supplier of DSLAMs selected by BT - that's the M41 DSLAM manufactured by ECI of Israel; it looks like those DSLAMs will never be properly vectoring-capable;  it seems that they will need replacing in their entirety (for the V41 model). Again, a hugely expensive undertaking; costing thousands of pounds per DSLAM.

To roll-out vectoring is going to cost many more thousands of pounds per DSLAM.  Openreach will have difficulty justifying that expenditure to its stakeholders.   Even with all the government's BDUK subsidies it has been given, BT can't possibly have recouped its earlier expenditure on the FTTC equipment it has installed to date.   Huge expenditure outlayed already on those existing DSLAMs, all those new street cabinets, all that infrastructure work, bringing power to the cabinets, and blowing all that new fibre into our neighbourhoods.

Why should BT's shareholders and creditors want to fork out even more just to give us vectoring - of potentially limited benefit - before seeing any return from their earlier investment in FTTC provision?

Vectoring roll-out, one suspects, will be a very muted affair in Britain.  Limited to areas where FTTC take-up has been the highest, and where problems of crosstalk are perhaps the worst; or where the subscribers are seen as somehow more important, comprising high-value business customers, perhaps, rather than areas where the DSLAMs serve the more modest domestic end-users.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Do you have any links for these rather sweeping statements?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Soyuz
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

If your right Onslow then it appears to me that BT are just another ISP that are selling a product that it knows it can't deliver.

If this is the case then perhaps it is time the ASA stopped them from selling it as upto 76Mbps and made then reduce that figure to one they can actually supply and not to hoodwink their customers  into contracts they can't full fill. 

This has little to do with BT's shareholders unless of course they are happy to stand up and be counted for obtaining monies by deception because that is what it is when you sell a product you knowingly can't deliver.

An absolute disgrace that a company the size of BT cons it's customers into believing it can deliver a product that it can't provide. 

Highlighted
scotta1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

i am having the same problem was sold 63-80mbps but lucky if i get 43mbps this is my stats from signup the first week of having bt infinity 2 i was getting 56-60mbps with a 10mbps upload but my upload speed now is lucky if i get 6-7mbps now but this still wasent what i was sold but it was allot closer to what i am getting now  

Untitled.jpg

this is my stats now its a joke that bt can get away with this bt just fob you off with there is a problem on the network but bt still say that i should get 63mbps down on my line but this is not going to happen fiber is new in my area i have had it from november and this is how bad it has got till now it can only get worse the more people take up infinity in my area every time the openreach van is at the cabinet my spedd gets worse 

Untitledqq.jpg

0 Ratings
Automan
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

So it would seem if you have been a subscriber from the early days that whether you have Infinity 1 or 2 our maximum possible speeds between the cabinet and your home have reduced.

Surely this must all be down to BT or OpenReach not testing Infinity properly with a cabinet at near maximum capacity.

Whoever made this mistake should pay for correcting it or at least be apologizing to us for being incompetent.

0 Ratings