cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrNovember
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Have I been palmed off by BT Customer Service?

For the past week I've been having problems with my Infinity connection.

I contacted customer care for the first time, and after running various tests the lady couldn't find any problems. Kindly she offered to supply me with a new Home Hub 5 free of charge. After installing it though, the problems persist.

After contacting customer care again and the second representative carrying out various tests, he suggested that he'd found "five or six blocks" on my line and that he would work on them from his end, and over the next two to three days I'd notice an improvement in my connection.

As soon as I hang up though, I get an email saying that there's no problem at BT's end, so the problem is at my end. I know that this is not the case, as I've tried everything possible to get things working from my end.

I found his comments about having "five or six blocks" on my line and him working on it over the next couple of days a little suspicious. - What can a customer service representative do to work on my connection problems after all?

Does his response sound plausible, or have I been palmed off!?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Have I been palmed off by BT Customer Service?

The only person that can look at the physical connections, would be an Openreach Field Technician, they cannot be checked by customer services.

What they can normally do is to run a line test to see if there is a fault, and also check to see if your broadband service is connected and you are logged in.

If you could specify which home hub you have, and whether you have a separate Openreach modem, then you should be able to get plenty of help here, from forum members.

0 Ratings
MrNovember
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response.

I have a Home Hub 5. I also have an Openreach modem, but disconnected it along with my old Home Hub 3, as I was led to believe the Home Hub 5 doesn't need the modem to operate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@MrNovember wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I have a Home Hub 5. I also have an Openreach modem, but disconnected it along with my old Home Hub 3, as I was led to believe the Home Hub 5 doesn't need the modem to operate.

That is correct.

You can get your connection statistics from the home hub by going into the hub manager.

Troubleshooting > Helpdesk.

See an example on this post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-Throttling/m-p/1541808#M19071...

0 Ratings
MrNovember
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

The issues I'm having seem strange, in that whenever I carry out a speed test the results seem good. When I connect to websites though, load times are painfully slow and the problems are consistent with several devices all over my home, regardless of whether they're wired/wireless connections.

My Youview Box won't play internet channels and my Playstation 4 won't play games online for example. Both are wired connections too.

Untitled.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

I see you split the networks  - did you also turn of smart setup?

are you using wired or wireless?

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  do not reset first and tets MUST be done with wired connection 

btspeedtester

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MrNovember
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I didn't turn off Smart Setup. The connection to my PC is wired.

Unfortunately BT speed tester doesn't work. If I recall, it says something about it being unavailable whenever I click run.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

sorry should have posted the link  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings