Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DaveH22
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Having a new line installed as part of our Infinity package

We have just ordered Infinity as have decided to return to BT.

For a number of reasons we have requested a NEW line.

The line we currently have is performing badly but is just above the Guaranteed Minimum speed. It is with another Telecoms provider.

We don't want to be without service any longer than we have to so plan to cease of previous line the say before the scheduled date for out BT install. 
We DEFINITELY do not want to 'inherit' our old port!!

What would happen if we ceased our line with our previous provider AFTER the BT install? Would we be able to insist that the engineer simply terminates the old one outside our premises (we don't want any extra wiring!).

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Having a new line installed as part of our Infinity package

Welcome to this user forum.

I would be very  surprised if a new line is provided, as in many cases, Openreach has a shortage of cable pairs.

If you have poor line, then it may be due to your distance from the cabinet. Your existing port will be ceased and returned to Openreach, to be given to the next person on the list.

If the cabinet is full, then you would not be able to get BT Infinity anyway, and would be on a waiting list.

A loss of service is quite normal if you are moving from one provider to another, especially if your current provider is a LLU provider like Sky or TalkTalk.

0 Ratings
DaveH22
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

I really need to discuss this with someone as I HAVE to know if I can be connected. It's extremely important and one of the reasons we decided to return to BT!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

There is nobody who is going to be able to help with this, as its Openreach not BT Retail that do the work.

If you enter your address and postcode into this form, it should tell you if the cabinet is full,

Broadband availability checker

Please delete any personal details before posting here.

Remember that BT Residential broadband is only for entertainment, so interrupted service is not guaranteed.

Why are you concerned about a break in service during changeover?

If its for business use, then this type of account would not be suitable.

0 Ratings
DaveH22
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

'There is nobody who is going to be able to help with this'

You know what? That's exactly the approach that made us leave BT last time! Going to have to reconsider this seriously!

Meanwhile, it looks like we're possible candidates for FTTP. However, I suspect this isn't accurate as we have no termination box near our house! Oh dear .....

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 10.58.19.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

You can get Infinity with speeds of up to 80Mbps I suggest you just place an order from it
What Keith was saying is this forum has no contact with Openreach and it is Openreach who supply and maintain the network for all providers of which BT Retail is just one of the many providers

FTTP on demand is a Business service and very costly
0 Ratings