cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Heavy BufferBloat on BT900 : 2.5-3.5 on Quality Metrics = congestion

Go to solution

Hi,

I have had BT900 for 6 days now, it's been great having some extra speed, but I'm experiencing poor BUFFERBLOAT on the ThinkBroadBand Speedtests (and for me, only one that has enough bandwidth for testing MY Gbit connection to its max, when others are getting a full whack on speedtest.net - I'm not on any servers local to me or far away),

my previous ISP Plusnet was always 0.1 quality metric every time, but right now, even at 4 am when it should be dead quiet, I'm getting 2.5-3.5 on bufferbloat which it states is very poor (worse than Wi-Fi, and this is on LAN), and my speed maxes out at 700ish on speedtest.net and on Think Broadband's various tests varies between 600-800 (with 800-900 bursts) with 3.5 bufferbloat metrics - this can't be normal for a full-fibre connection surely>?

as I see people posting SPEEDTEST.NET speed tests on BT900 with 7ms ping and 900Mbps on the head, my ping is 22ms like VDSL and I ain't hitting 900 at all on that site, at 4 am too!! - I will test it during the day and peak hours from now on. Even TBBx1 is below my MGALS of 455Mbps

I also opted out of BT-Wifi-X days ago and it still showing on my Wi-Fi.

GRADE 3 = CONGESTION MAY BE AFFECTING SPEEDS

speed test result.jpgspped result 2.jpg

THANKS IN ADVANCE

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Heavy BufferBloat on BT900 : 2.5-3.5 on Quality Metrics = congestion

Go to solution

im still only getting about 60% of the bandwidth I'm paying for with pings that are similar to VDSL (20-30ms) when on full FTTP they should be under 15ms at the most

there is obviously some bandwidth issues in my area that needs addressing by BT Openreach - as a new customer I do get 28 days to decide if I'm staying or not, as my experience so far has been mediocre compared with all the other ISPs I've been with.
sites blocked etc.. HAVE to use a VPN to access certain sites - without they are blocked even with encrypted coudflare DNS - had nothing like that on Plusnet.

speed 615.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

FTTP is a heavily contended service, up to 32 users can be sharing the 2.5Gbps backhaul. It will be exactly the same contention whichever provider you use.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

i just learned that now over on Kitz!! had I known i may have reconsidered?

cheers

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
starting to feel and look more like the average Virgin experience lol
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@snadge wrote:

i just learned that now over on Kitz!! had I known i may have reconsidered?

cheers

It has been posted here and on Kitz numerous times.

Why do you think it is so cheap compared to a leased line?

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
well obviously i haven't seen it lol - otherwise i wouldn't have said so...
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

If you really need something faster.

https://business.bt.com/products/broadband-and-internet/bt-leased-line/

"BTnet

Our ultimate internet connection, Choose a 100Mbps, 1Gbps or 10Gbps circuit, then select the speed you need from 10Mbps to 10Gbps. Ultra-fast and scalable, it lets you adjust your speeds to align with your needs."

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

think ill go for the 10Gbit option and upgrade all my equipment to 10GB NICs lol

naahhh I'm ok, now its been explained how BT and others backbones work over on Kitz, I've come to an understanding.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@snadge wrote:

think ill go for the 10Gbit option and upgrade all my equipment to 10GB NICs lol

You are joking of course, unless you have lots of money, and want to pay for a business connection 😀