Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Infinitized
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Help! Advice please...

Hi,

After a year of being on Infinity 2 with consistent speeds of around 40Mb down and 7Mb up (not great but ok I suppose) we had a problem last Sunday when we lost both telephone & broadband connection.  Completely dead.

Immediately reported to BT via the web portal (thank god for smartphones!), and an engineer finally turned up yesterday (Wednesday).  He diagnosed that one of the pair of wires has gone open circuit approx 130m from the house.  He disappeared for quite a while and upon return said that he has moved us over onto a spare pair but although the phone & broadband was back on, the line had failed some of his tests and therefore he had notified HQ.  Apparently another engineer would be tasked with sorting it out later that day or possibly today, and that we may lose the line again briefly whilst tests/repairs were performed.  Shortly after I got an automated text from BT saying that the (presumably original) fault was cleared and things should be back to normal.

However.... my Infinity speeds are now 7.41Mb down and 2.85Mb up - a fraction of what they once were - and haven't risen in the last 4 hours at all.

I understand about the DLM procedure, but surely it shouldn't be starting THAT low ?!?!?!

Is there anything I can do?  Or is that likely to be 'normal' and I just have to wait for it to rise?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Help! Advice please...

It could take a few days for the speed to get back up to what it should be. Just avoid turning the router off. You may find since the line repair you get a better speed.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Infinitized
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Speeds still not budged in the last 24Hrs.

I'm concerned that the fault that the BT engineer referred on for repair (which should have been completed by now) may actually be causing these speed issues rather than improving on my previous benchmarks!

The automated text from BT said that sppeds should return 'over 3 days' so as that'll be tomorrow (a Saturday) I guess I will have to give it till Monday anyway.  But who do I then contact if still no change ???

TIA

ps I currently have a 'ping latency' of 49ms - is that good/bad ?

0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

exact same thing happened to me. no phone for 7 days and infinity2 speeds dropped.

phone repaired on wednesday external fault near pole.

was told everything should return to normal with speeds within 48 hours but sometimes can take upto 10 days to settle down like a new install.

before fault 52 down - 13 up

now 33 down - 5 up

we both know what is going to happen. in a week we will be contacting india again.

but give it a few more days and a miracle might happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

It is possible but unlikely your speeds will dramatically increase. If a line fault was repaired the engineer should have done a reset of DLM on your line to restore the speeds. I would contact BT and request that they send out an engineer to investigate the problem.

0 Ratings
Infinitized
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

An update...

Another engineer did apparently resolve the line fault... and so after a couple of weeks my speeds have risen to 32.83 / 4.48  (ip profile 33.88 / 20)

Better - but much less than I got before the line fault.  I did a 'web chat' on 15th Sept and the agent went through all the script and agreed that a fault was present and so raised a call.

An engineer telephoned early this morning (22nd Sept) to say he would be calling round.  He was told that unfortunately as we'd had no prior notice, no-one was at home to be able to let him in.  An hour later, the BT site was updated to say the fault was cleared !

I've just done another 'web chat' where the operator this time said that 'my speed limit on the line was 35mbps' and therefore as I was getting 32.83 this was within acceptable limits and refused to escalate the call.

What can I do ?  I've wasted another hours tonight getting no-where.  I even tried telephoning - all operators were busy, then after 25mins it cut off!

So disappointed in the whole thing.  At point of ordering Infinity 2 I was quoted 57.2 / 15.7.  I've accepted & lived with 40-43 / 7-8 for 12 months - not as good as hoped, but not that bad.  Now I find I'm stuck on 32 / 4.5 and BT won't listen that it should be better!

Has the line still got a fault that needs attention?

Do I just need a DLM / ip profile reset?

Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Enter your phone number snd post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Infinitized
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I remember doing that before - in fact I saved the results!  They were originally..

FTTC Range A (Clean)
Downstream 50.3 (High) - 35.8 (Low)
Upstream 10.4 (High) - 7 (Low)

Interestingly its dropped since - new results below...poor3.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

So from the checker your speed is within estimate. Probably with number of people now on your cabinet the estimates have dropped

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

i had another engineer turn up un announced at 8.15am on sunday.

20 minutes of tests with his box of tricks and im back upto 51mbps

the original phone engineer wasnt trained on infinity so you might need another engineer out to see if they can bump your speeds back up.

0 Ratings