cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vipergrm
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Help! Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

Hi all,

We are moving to a new property hopefully within the next month however, I was somewhat surprised to see that fibre is not available.  Worse still, the ADSL speed is only guaranteed for 0.5Mbps and is quoted as 1Mb~3Mb.  This is basically a no-go at these speeds.  

The message I get when looking up the post code is "Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.  This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.2

I initially thought that it could be because the cabinet (cabinet 7, Templepatrick Exchange, Northern Ireland) was too far from the property at around 2 miles however, I have worked my way back towards the cabinet by checking other house numbers and the message is the exact same.  Odd thing is, there's a new build house within 10 feet of mine and it has fibre enable and ready to order, but it is connected to another cab.  The other 50+ houses on the road bring up the same message.

I contacted BT multple times and haven't gotten anywhere.  I'm told that if it isn't available then it isn't available (literally).  Is there some contact number I can call to see why this isn't possible and if so, when it will be available?  It's shame because we will have to reconsider our offer for the property which we would otherwise love to go through with.

Appreicate any help you can provide.  Thank you!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Help! Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just ye

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Also on the homehub please post your stats from your troubleshooting / helpdesk section ... http://bthomehub.home

Post lines 1 - 12  please.

Info I got thus far:

and 

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Re: Help! Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just ye

Basically, you can't be moved to another cabinet unless it's part of an Openreach plan or government funded scheme to increase broadband speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
vipergrm
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the reply.  I don't have a telephone number yet because I haven't created the order due to the speed issue.  I've already ran multiple speed checks but I used the link you sent me and came back with this:

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available

Out of interest, how would the stats on my homehub help?  It is a different house and currently around 72Mbps fibre so not sure what this is needed for?  Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

If the Openreach site shows you're too far and you reckon 2 mile to the cabinet then you won't be able to get FTTC. End if story.

I'd be looking at an alternate property if internet speed is so important.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
vipergrm
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Is there somewhere I can check exactly how far I am from the cabinet?  I'm only making estimates, but given the poor ADSL speeds, it is likely I am either too far or on the limit.  Odd thing is, none of the addresses in this street have fibre available.  One of the directions must surely be closer to the cabinet so that is a bit odd.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

3km is about the limit for VDSL.

0 Ratings
vipergrm
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I found the stree cab using a search tool and it is approximately 2.8 miles away (if the tool is correct).  Odd thing is, the house behind me is connected to another cab which is 2.86 miles away and it can ge fibre up to 67Mbps.  I am flabbergasted by that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@vipergrm wrote:

I found the stree cab using a search tool and it is approximately 2.8 miles away (if the tool is correct).  Odd thing is, the house behind me is connected to another cab which is 2.86 miles away and it can ge fibre up to 67Mbps.  I am flabbergasted by that.

I can assure you he is not connected to a cabinet 2.86 miles away with that speed, he is about 300/400 metres.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Agree with Licquorice.
0 Ratings