cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Help to Speed Up Connection

My son recently moved to South Wales to start a much needed small business, his current internet connection is 1 Mb/s !, not a lot and useless for any type of video conferencing, but no problem, the Openreach checking site said "Good news – we’ll be upgrading your area to Full Fibre (Fibre to the Premises - FTTP) soon."

He lives in Nevern, Pembrokeshire and his nearest exchange is Newport, and is listed as “exchange only”  

He has registered on the site, as have several of his neighbours, who like him are desperate for the faster speeds that FTTP brings.

In an effort to progress and hopefully speed up provision  he wrote to Openreach for the latest situation, he was told that the date for provision is October 2021 and may be later, in my book, soon, is at most, a few months not nearly 2 years, what is happening?  Is there any way the provision time can be reduced to a reasonable timescale? The run is overhead following the existing copper cable, and as such, not a very complicated run.

He already has paid for trees to be trimmed in preparation for the new fibre.

From a local source, a fibre cable from Newport to a Nevern pub car park exists, but is not connected

As an aside, one of his local neighbours  spotted an Openreach man, who said he was surveying for new posts to carry the fibre.

As you can see the arrival of a fibre is a much awaited, local, talking point.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help to Speed Up Connection

This is a BT retail forum and has no connection with Openreach who provide the fibre infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

The BT fibre broadband Community is a wide ranging discussion group that deals with all aspects of BT fibre transmission, within it are a large number of articles concerning Openreach and many of which point to the Openreach availability checking site.

The purpose of my question was to explore all avenues, to assist in finding a suitable and timely alternative to meet my sons future broadband requirements, and as such I hoped that members of the community would offer help, ideas, experiences, discussion, solutions, difficulties etc, to achieve this end.

It may be the answer is to use an alternative to fibre such as 4G or 5G, or point to a similar wider ranging site,  I cannot predict what other methods or solutions will be, that is why I've raised the question.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Yes, you are correct. This residential BT broadband community can discuss all aspects of BT Retail fibre transmission and anything Openreach may be introducing of benefit to BT Retail customers. What cannot be discussed is any other provider, BT Business connections, or any other solutions which may be available to your son.

For that unforunately you would need to seek help elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

0 Ratings