cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Help to understand my wiring

Go to solution

I am investigating some connection issues at the moment which I put down to a change of hub, but nevertheless I'd like to understand what's going on with my wiring which seems non-standard. Note that I am currently renovating a very old house.

So the outside BT cable comes into my house and directly into the box on the left of this picture:

bt2.jpeg

This then somehow connects to the box on the right, I'm not sure which cable exactly.

An extension lead then runs from this box and into an OpenReach branded NTE5 socket downstairs, which is where by Hub is plugged in.

This is what my connetion looks like:

bt.png

Decent right?

But here's wherre I'm confused.

It appears as though the socket in my picture is the "master" socket as this is where the external BT cable terminates. However, if I plug my hub (via a filter) into the pictured socket, either the faceplate or the test socket, my line does not connect and I get a flashing red B on my hub.

It's only when I plug into the downstairs socket which is fed by an extension lead that my connection syncs.

Does anyone know what's going on here and understands this setup?

Thanks very much!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help to understand my wiring

Go to solution

It looks like "Star wiring" where both sockets are supplied from the junction box which will kill your connection. When you connect to the test socket on the supposed "Master socket" no other sockets should work.

This is something thet either you will have to get an independant contractor to sort out or pay Openreach (via BT) £129 to do it for you.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

So i managed to get to to the bottom of it.

The little box on the left is actually where my incoming BT line terminates.

There are then 2 extensions coming from this box:

1. The box on the right which actually turned out to be disconnected when I opened it up fully (and explains why my connection wouldn't sync)

2. The NTE5 box downstairs which my Hub plugs into

So I guess that I don't really have a mater socket like a regular house. All sockets are fed from the weird little box.

Do you think I should pay OpenReach to replace the little box with a new NTE5C box? Is it even possible with the current wiring, or would they need to run a new type of cable into my property?

Thanks again!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

So the little box is the BT80A 🙂

0 Ratings