cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Help with BT/Openreach cabling

Hi there , so ive come here just for abit more info . Basically im moving to a property and a telephone pole is directly infront on the property . I checked speeds online and it says i can get between 71-73 whci his very very good theres only a mb difference of what it tells me . But the cabinet is quite far away down a long main road . I was just wondering i know if u dont have full fibre and you have access to the standard max speeds of 80/20cab if from the cabinet to the telephone pole is it full fibre and then from the pole to your house a copper wire ? because if i was on a copper wire straight from the house all the way down the long main road on a copper wire surley i wouldnt get near the 80download mark and the braodband websites would widen there range of the amount of speed i can get to the property ? 

Long story short : From the BT/Openreach cabainet to a telephone pole is it full fibre to the pole and then a copper wire to the house ? 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Help with BT/Openreach cabling

If the speed checker is showing VDSL speeds of 71-73, then your line will be fibre to the cabinet and then copper from the cabinet to your house. You will get that sort of speed at about 300-350  metres from the cabinet.

Message 3 of 16

i know where the cabinet is but is there anyway i can check the actually distance from my house to the cabinet ?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

ive also heard online that the telephone poles are on a fibre splitter or something like that ?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

google Maps
Message 6 of 16

Post the result of the checker, that will reveal what is available to you.

Message 7 of 16

ive used goodle maps and the maps is telling me its 560 metres away from the house i wanna move to . thats not including bends and roads thats a straight up black line on good maps to the cabinet . Are you sure theres like no extender cabs ? virgin media have small extender cabs ? i just dont understand how the property can get very good speeds on a 80/20 cab without being being close to the cabinet at all ?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Just post the results of the checker.

That link is from 2014 and as far as I'm aware, the technology was never deployed.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

@AngryNetworkingwrote:
i know where the cabinet is but is there anyway i can check the actually distance from my house to the cabinet ?

Use a distance wheel or pace it out.

0 Ratings