cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Help with EMF sensitivity and fibre broadband

Hi there and thank you in advance to anyone who is reading this post.

I am sensitive to EMF radiation and cannot function when I have any kind of Wi-Fi equipment operating in the house.

I have just moved and was offered a package that was reduced in price for those on low income. This included fibre broadband. I had some discussion with the guy I spoke to about EMF radiation but he wasn’t very helpful. However he said there’s cooling off period if it doesn’t work out.

I’ve just been connected and have two problems:

Firstly: disabling WiFi on the router doesn’t stop the radiation output.

Secondly: I cannot find a way to use a normal corded landline phone.

From reading other posts on this forum, I think maybe using a third party router would help? But BT suggest this would not work. Do third partly routers work with fibre broadband?

If I did get a third party router to work, then how would I connect a normal phone? I’m guessing that would not be possible.

I’m struggling to find a solution because according to my neighbours, the internet connection is absolutely terrible unless fibre broadband is installed!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Help with EMF sensitivity and fibre broadband

There are a few strands to this.

Yes you can use a third party router with fibre broadband. However, if you now have Digital Voice which is delivered via broadband the BT Hub becomes a DECT (cordless) base station and a third party router cannot be used for BT voice service.

As far as using a corded landline phone is concerned, yes you can simply plug the phone into the green socket at the rear of the BT Hub.

The choices you have are

1. Third party router, thus no landline.

2. Third party router and third party VOIP service and third party ATA to provide a phone service

3. Put the BT Hub in a Faraday cage.

Message 3 of 12

you cannot turn off the wifi completely with SH2 so you would need to use a third party router if you have FTTP or router/modem if FTTC

your existing phone will work if you connect it to the phone socket on the back of the hub - you may need to remove the sticker.  however if you did move to 3rd party router then you cannot get DV as that requires the use of the SH2 which acts as a DECT base station

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 12

Hi @licquorice 

thank you very much for your help which is really appreciated. 

I hadn't thought of a third party for the phone service. I'll have to look into the possibilities. I might just have to live with mobile only - although the reception isn't very good, so it's worth looking at other options.

I'm looking into building a faraday cage but when I've done so in the past, to be honest, they've not been effective. I did get some special material but it wasn't good enough to block the signals, unfortunately. 

I think purchasing a third party router is the first step.

According to the person I spoke to at BT, it had to be "digitally ready" and then a phone could be plugged into it? I'm not sure about that though...

Thank you again for your helpful reply and best wishes, AC

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Hi @imjolly,

thank you very much for your help which is appreciated. 

I was just told after phoning BT support that some third party routers will allow you to plug in a phone and that you can still access BT services that way. However, I cannot find any such router! I guess I'll have to keep looking. The guy said to find one that says "digitally ready"?

Best wishes, AC

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

The guy was talking nonsense. To use BT's Digital Voice service, you HAVE to use the BT hub, the service is proprietary.

Any router can be used for third party VOIP services, but not BT's.

I must admit I'm surprised when you mentioned a mobile phone in your earlier post, that will emit far more EMF and in a closer proximity than wifi from the hub will.

Message 7 of 12

I suggest the initial poster read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity . It seems clear to me that there is no scientific evidence for it and the forum's time should not be wasted.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I have to say, I am totally sceptical about the sensitivity to wifi, however, a couple of minutes of my time to offer a few solutions and dispel misinformation yet again from the BT helpdesk isn't really wasted.

Message 9 of 12

@ChrisB wrote:

I suggest the initial poster read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity . It seems clear to me that there is no scientific evidence for it and the forum's time should not be wasted.

As I have said before when others have posted similar to your reply, the OP feels that its wireless signals are harmful, how they get away from all wireless signals that surround us without living in a Faraday Cage is beyond me, but they could get away from their own BT Hub's wireless signals by buying a third party VDSLModem/ router and turning off the wireless signal.

If you feel it is a waste of forum user's time remember... you do not need to post anything on the thread. Others who feel they can assist the OP are free to post if they want. 

Message 10 of 12

@gg30340 and @liquorice….Well said.