Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter1uk
Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Help with strange fault

Go to solution

The maximum upload speed on my line is usually 21mb, the past three weeks has seen it drop to 8mb. When I change the filter this jumps back up to 21mb and stays for a while before dropping my broadband connection and resets to 8mb again. This happens with three different filters. What would cause this, and is this a line problem since I keep going round in circles with the call centre. I am also lucky if I get an internet connection for over an hour.

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: Help with strange fault

Go to solution
your maximum upload speed is no more than 20Mbps I would suggest trying a new filter connected to the test socket and see if that solves the problem
0 Ratings
peter1uk
Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

Tried using the test socket, still starts at 20mb then resyncs back to 8mb then the home hub loses connection and constantly keeps trying to reconnect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
peter1uk
Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

Yes, I can hear what sounds like white noise on the phone but call centre says there is nothing wrong with the line, it sometimes crackles as well but this is intermittent so also could not be detected by the call centre line tests.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution
any line noise will cause broadband disconnections and problems and needs an engineer to resolve
peter1uk
Contributor
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

Thanks, will have to try and convince the call centre that I need an engineer.

0 Ratings
peter1uk
Contributor
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

Also noticed that my signal to noise ratio drops to 0 which causes the home hub to reset, does this also indicate a faulty line?.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution
yes that certainly does suggest a line fault remember report the line noise as a phone fault not a broadband one and do not mention broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

Do you mean your noise margin?  If noise margin is dropping that low then there is a line noise problem and you need to arrange an engineer visit 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings