Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

Here we go again

Go to solution

history

may 4th 2014 infinity2 installed but only on wifi as contractor refused to put my hub in my office upstairs.

may 30th 2014 updated after a complaint and hub moved and new sub master socket installed.

since may 30th i have been connected continuously by ethernet cable and have been getting a constant 52mbps download and 13mbps up. this was up until today.

i came home from work and my mum says we have got loud crakling noises on the phone line. as soon as she said that i done a speed test which has dropped quite a bit. ive checked to see if there is any work in my area but none of the sites show there is for wembley.

im not going to ring until after 8pm as at least then there is a 1 in 10 chance of getting through to the uk call centre.

is it worth a hub reset or as there is noise on the phone line could that also be affecting infinity and pointless doing a hub5 reset

heres the screen shots from may and today.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Here we go again

Go to solution

had to do 2 posts as it kept failing.

todays speed tests

4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
if you have noise on the voice line then that needs resolving before your broadband will improve it needs reposting on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

thanks John.

0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

update, thanks India.

151 automatic line test found nothing wrong.

then spoke to call centre who could hear the very loud crakling but still said there was nothing wrong.

then i got the speel about the call out charge as the problem must be in my house. in the end he said as long as i agree to the charge he can arange for an engineer but as its almost the weekend it will have to be next week.

i said i have an engineer who lives 10 hoses away so will try and see if he can check things for me as i cant wait until next week due to work.

i have now had to stand down from emergency hospital call in as we have to have a landline for first responce just in case mobile networks are down.

just hope he is in.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

The standard service level for ordinary residential lines is 3 working days to investigate a problem.  And there's still no guarantee that it will be fixed on day 3, only a minimal amount of compensation if it isn't.

If the phone line is that important to you, you should be getting a business line.

0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

thanks for the reply.

not worth getting a buisiness line as its only my 88 year old mum that uses it. i always use my mobile as unlimited calls on that and its just sods law that its started playing up on the week im covering on call that i need a landline.

had quite a few problems over the last 18 months and last time it was down for 11 days and i was told the same thing, theres no problem with the line. in the end i asked my neigbour to look into it and he found something fried at the exchange. even though the call centre was adamant there was nothing wrong in the end as a good will gesture they offered me £1.24

they are ringing back tomorrow night to check if its still the same and if i cant get to see my neigbour ill book an engineer.

0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

another update.

since the crakle started infinity2 had dropped 15mbps to 37

came home from work yesterday and my mum mentioned something was flashing in my room.

it was the hub5 with no internet connection.

i done all the usual checks starting at the master socket. phone crakle was even worse than before and you can hardly hear anyone on the other end.

all cables checked blah blah blah. tried reboots,wifi and all failed.

phoned call centre again and the split second the call connects the hub stops flashing orange to static and then returns to blue and infinity goes back to normal. they promissed a call back yesterday evening but as always they didnt ring.

the same thing happened today. hub was blue. as soon as i connected to the internet i get the orange flashing light. rang the call centre again and the hub goes back to blue and connects again.

this is the EXACT same thing i was getting before i upgraded to infinity. that took 11 days of tests to determine it was a problem at the exchange. im just hoping it wont take that long to sort out this time.

engineer booked for wednesday.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
until you get the line noise fixed your broadband will not improve you could also have a high resistance joint if the broadband reconnects on the use of the phone
0 Ratings
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

thanks for the reply John

what do you mean by "high resistance joint" as ive never heard of that before.

it is only since wednesday that this has started happening and i know its not in the house as nothing has been touched or changed. even plugging the main bt phone directly into the master socket it still has the really loud interferance noise.

touch wood the internet has stayed connected since my call to bt this morning even though its 15mbps slower.

0 Ratings