cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

High Latency on BT Infinity II

I've had major issues with online gaming (Xbox One) using Infinity II for over a week, previously I had no issues and everything was fine. After resetting the Home Hub 5 back to factory defaults and performing a BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ I was suprised by the high latency in the results.

The download speed and upload speed is exactly what I expect, so for browsing and general internet use it is fine, but I suspect the high latency will be giving me problems with gaming, 40ms seems rather high to me.

bbresults.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: High Latency on BT Infinity II

Here are the results of the diagnostic test, but dont really tell me anything I dont already know...

diagresults.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

It doesn't appear that I am alone with seeing high latency on BT Infinity II

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Aberdeen-Denburn-Latency-Increase/td-p/1309...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

So I've managed to fix my issue...

After loads of restarts, power cycles and everything else, the resolution was to perform a factory reset.

0 Ratings
loanhead
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

@garrytrinder wrote:

So I've managed to fix my issue...

After loads of restarts, power cycles and everything else, the resolution was to perform a factory reset.

I am in the same boat as you were, I've had poor pings since I started but nothing has fixed it. Im currently 10 days with solid connection waiting for DLM to hopefuly do it's thing after 14 days.

Glad you got yours fixed, I factory resetted mine after wifi issues every morning and my pings were still 40-60ms.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 7

Infinity/FTTC often has fairly high pings; a combination of interleaving and/or bad internal routing can easily give pings of 30ms even on quite a good line.

Also, the bt broadband speedtester tends to give higher latency/ping results than the result you get to a good site, such as bbc or most UK based games servers.  Try the command line 'ping bbc.co.uk' for a better guide to your 'real' latency.  I just got 53ms from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ but 20ms from ping bbc.co.uk.

0 Ratings
skawillow
Message 7 of 7

I too have the same issue. The HH5 is the worst router i have come across. Difficult to configure and having to factory reset and reconfigure every few days is ridiculous.  I had nearer 65Mb download speed and a letency <10ms but now the speend has dropped to 50Mb and the latency is over 100ms. Quite often it means completely unusable.

I spent an hour on the phone to India at the weekend with zero value... Sitting on a wired connection I was told to disable the 5G wirless to improve performance and then that i shouldn't change any of the values on the HH5.. It would be useful to be able to set at least one static IP for my printer! I have an engineer booked for this morning.

I'd hate to be the 9/10 who rate the BT service as the advert!

0 Ratings