cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

High Ping and Slow Internet Speeds

Hi, 

TL;DR —  In the past week or two we've been having issues with high ping and extremely slow internet speeds making our regular use of the internet a nightmare.

We've been connected to BT Fibre 1 for a few years and everything has been a-okay. Even through the first two month of self isolation at home the internet has been stable with multiple users online watching Netflix/others, browsing websites, playing online games whilst streaming/chatting - all together, this has been fine.

However in the past week or so, the connection has been so bad we can hardly load a website at times, with sites like Youtube defaulting to low resolutions and Netflix sometimes not even loading. Pings to voice servers online such as Discord for voice chat have been so high it makes having a simple online chat impossible. (This is also used for work, so is of high importance for it to be stable.)

Computers/devices that haven been having this issue are not limited to being on WIFI, with the majority connected over Ethernet to the Hub itself. I personally have two machines a Mac and a PC, both affected and connected via ethernet to the HUB. Even using my iPhone at times I've had to switch to 4G just to receive data.

Below is a speedtest.net screenshot of when it's been bad...

Annotation 2020-06-06 125359.jpg

And then 10minutes later it's back to 'normal'.

Here's another test taken at 1.53am when no-one was using the internet...

Annotation 2020-06-06 014352_E.jpg

I have also done some ping tests, which time out at the worst of times with pings of over 3000. This has also happened with speedtest.net. (If requested I can attach screenshot of these.)

Restarting the BT Hub/router doesn't seem to affect anything (maybe temporarily) but after reading on BT help that this may cause adverse restrictions so I have refrained from restarting.

I personally work freelance and now from home, recently the internet has been so unstable I haven't been able to complete jobs so it's adversely affecting everything and I'm struggling to find a solution.

This is beyond frustrating. Can anyone offer a solution?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: High Ping and Slow Internet Speeds

can you check your phone line for a dial tone?  if there is a dial tone can you dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

There is a dial tone and the line is completely silent when choosing that option.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@imjolly Thank you for your assistance this far.

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

Please find the information below to further assist me...

Home Hub 5 'Helpdesk' information.Home Hub 5 'Helpdesk' information.

Broadband Availability Checker InformationBroadband Availability Checker Information

Hopefully this information helps as the problem persists. Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

As the problem still is an issue, below are screenshots of the we've had trouble with the connection. Most of these ping attempts have timed out as you can see below;

Annotation 2020-06-07 030255.jpg

Annotation 2020-06-07 131002.jpg

Heres an example of a time when it hasn't timed out;

Annotation 2020-06-07 031533.jpg

Hopefully someone can suggest a solution... Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Did anyone ever solve this. I have the same problem. I have a BT engineer here and all his line checks are fine. However even with a new router only connected to his equipment the speed drops down and the ping goes up to about 300ms.

0 Ratings