cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cherry76
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

High electric consumption since fibre upgrade

I just noticed my electric usage is much higher than normal last month for 35 days it was 163 . This month for 37 days it is 270kwh.

There has been not much change except I have upgraded to fibre I am just wondering whether wireless is using more electricity. Thanks 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: High electric consumption since fibre upgrade

Wireless is just radio waves in the air. It does not use any electricity. It is the devices that receives or transmits the wireless signal that uses electricity to power them.

The Smarthub will use very little electricity, about 4 watts per day. Assuming you leave it on 24/7 this equates to about £6 per year.

Perhaps you are using more devices connected to the Internet than you were previously.

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 13

I doubt it very much. Routers use very little electricity.

Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 13

All very true ... router/modems use little energy.

But one thing that did cross my mind ... is whether you are using a "smart meter" that connects to your "real" meter via wireless. ~ and it is being influenced by your router's wireless output? ... it's possible, not implausible, but highly unusual.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 13

@RogerB wrote:

But one thing that did cross my mind ... is whether you are using a "smart meter" that connects to your "real" meter via wireless. ~ and it is being influenced by your router's wireless output? ... it's possible, not implausible, but highly unusual.

So how does the smart meter get the password to access the wireless network? They use the mobile networks which the energy provider pays for.

Even in the depths of improbability if the smart meter was to connect how would that use more power? Using a wireless connection to the router will not increase consumption to that degree as the router continually sends out beacons anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 13

@RogerB wrote:

It’s an unlikely scenario.

The meter box records electric usage and transmits to the supplier over a  mobile data connection. 

Meter box sends the same data to the smart meter monitor. If there are errors, then the monitor corrects, or displays an error in the read history.

The real proof is in the statement from the electrical supplier.

However, if using a diy energy meter,  (not linked to the supplier), then there will be errors, which usually overestimate the usage. For the technically minded, diy monitors don’t take power factor into account.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 13

@RogerBwrote:

And why I said what I did. 🙂 .... there's absolutely nothing that could influence the actual power usage from a broadband standpoint. It simply crossed my mind whether a smart meter using wireless was being corrupted ???? It's called "thinking out loud" .... not a positive statement? .... (nothing's impossible, implausible, but often highly unusual? ) 🙂 I actually use one myself ... and it works just fine. ( about 4 feet from my router).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 13

@RogerB wrote:

@RogerBwrote:

And why I said what I did. 🙂 .... there's absolutely nothing that could influence the actual power usage from a broadband standpoint. It simply crossed my mind whether a smart meter using wireless was being corrupted ???? It's called "thinking out loud" .... not a positive statement? .... (nothing's impossible, implausible, but often highly unusual? ) 🙂 I actually use one myself ... and it works just fine. ( about 4 feet from my router).

There’s no disputing your statement. You have opened the door to alternative ideas.

It’s whether the op is using a simple diy meter, which can be up to “who knows what” inaccurate.

It’s much more straightforward to read the meter itself on first day of each month. I have a smart elec meter which is accurate, so there’s no problem. Not so with gas, and eventually water - they keep promising, and delaying......forever.

0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

One thing that should be considered seriously here is that the "smart meter" is not smart at all and is giving false readings. I am aware of an issue with one my neighbours whose electricty consumption went off the scale after having a "smart meter" fitted and after a lot of hassle, the meter was changed, resulting in a return to expected consumption. The neighbour is now having a lot of hassle trying to get the overcharge refunded.

In my view "smart meters" are a con and should be avoided . . . do not be caught out by suppliers who insist that "smart meters" are compusory. They are NOT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 13

@jjgraphics wrote:

One thing that should be considered seriously here is that the "smart meter" is not smart at all and is giving false readings. I am aware of an issue with one my neighbours whose electricty consumption went off the scale after having a "smart meter" fitted and after a lot of hassle, the meter was changed, resulting in a return to expected consumption. The neighbour is now having a lot of hassle trying to get the overcharge refunded.

In my view "smart meters" are a con and should be avoided . . . do not be caught out by suppliers who insist that "smart meters" are compusory. They are NOT.

Mistakes can be made with smart meter installations. They are not compulsory but if fitted correctly they are a help. It helps to give up to date consumption readings. Or.....you can get down yourself once a month and post readings, which still have to be verified by a  meter reader either 6 monthly or annually. Even with a smart meter, a meter inspection is required after a longer interval. So you can see who the winner is!

The weakness is in the lcd display, which can fade away.

0 Ratings