cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alemtuzumab
Message 1 of 9

High ping, VPV failure and router crashing

Hi,

We upgraded to BT Superfast Fibre plus. since then we have had very low download speeds (often below 8 Mbps) frustratingly slow upload speeds (below 0.1Mbs most days) which stops me from working from home as my VPN will either not connect or contantly tells me the ISP is limiting the speed of my connection. Today the ping is 4000ms The BT hub also goes form blue to orange light multiple times per day. Engineers have been out several timeas and change the lines etc but to no avail.

How can we improve this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: High ping, VPV failure and router crashing

Welcome to this user forum. @alemtuzumab 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
alemtuzumab
Message 3 of 9

Plenty of noise and crackling what I do that

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@alemtuzumab wrote:

Plenty of noise and crackling what I do that

That is the problem.

If there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as  a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

The BT line test cannot detect a noisy line, which is why you are not making any progress with this fault.

Its advisable to check at the test socket first, to make sure the problem is not within your own wiring.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
alemtuzumab
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, will try that. The engineers that came before tested the output from our internal wiring and said it was not a problem in the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@alemtuzumab wrote:

Thanks, will try that. The engineers that came before tested the output from our internal wiring and said it was not a problem in the house.

Then it will be an external fault. Sometimes these faults can be intermittent, but it usually caused by a corroded connection, usually more of a problem if your line is fed from a pole.

Phone faults are usually sorted out quickly, but if you still cannot get it resolved, then please post back here.

0 Ratings
alemtuzumab
Message 7 of 9

So BT line engineer came out ''fixed the problem'' - our line is now really very quiet which a a big improvement an dout download speed seems more stable. However th eupload is still only 0.33 and pinh ia 1773 at th emoment. This means my works VPN will not work as it is too slow to upload an dstill sending emails is painful. Is there anything else we can try to improve this?Post BT visit 15Apr.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Could you post the connection stats from the hub.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log/information.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

0 Ratings
alemtuzumab
Message 9 of 9

These are that sats i think? Upload speeds are still 0.01 or so!  Today and last week I have been unable to connect to my work email via Outlook or use the VPN when I am connected by ethernet or to the WiFi network. However if I use the FON connection (via my home hub) I can use outlook and VPN - what does thi smean? Thanks

Connection stats.JPG

0 Ratings