Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Higher pings after council workers cut my internet wire

On 4th December last year I had double glazing installed and the contractors the council hired to install it (I'm a council tenant) cut the internet wire going into my house because it went along the bottom of the window sill.

They repaired it with some black tape but since then the pings I'm getting on speedtest.net are higher. I used to get pings between 6-9ms but now pings vary between 14/13/38/31/21ms.

I'm guessing the wire hasn't been repaired properly and is responsible for my lower pings. How do I get this fixed without having to pay a BT engineer to repair it? Do you think the council would pay a BT engineer to fix the problem their workers caused?

Also, I don't think this is related but since Friday 9th January my internet speed has lowered. I used to get download speeds of 74/75Mbs but now I'm only getting 54/56/57Mbs. Also the internet keeps cutting out, the broadband light turns orange on the hub. It reconnects then cuts out again. A few days ago I saw an engineer sitting at the green box across the road, perhaps they're aware of a fault?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Higher pings after council workers cut my internet wire

Did you report the problem to the council that their contractor had damaged your phone line?  From your description of the problems it does look likley that the black tape connection is causing your problems. Getting an openreach engineer I would expec you to get charged £129.99

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Higher pings after council workers cut my internet wire

Yeah, I reported it but they say it may be too late for them to do anything about it. I haven't signed off the work they did yet so I will tell them I won't sign it off until they fix it. I suggested I could pay BT to come and fix the problem and invoice the contractors but the liaison officer advised not to do that because I might not get my money back.

I did a speed test on BT's website and it says the speed from the BT exchange to my hub is 60.9mb and my d/l speed is 57.9mb.

Have BT lowered the speed? I used to get about 75mb.

0 Ratings