cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Higher speed on EE?

I am a new customer and when I signed up I was told I could get a max of 35MB download - the essential fibre.

However, I have been sent an EE offer which gives me 55MB. How does this work out?!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Higher speed on EE?

No ISP using the same Openreach network can magically get more speed than anyone else on any particular ‘line’ ,

ISP are required to use national average speeds in advertising and this ,  although supposedly to make comparisons easier between ISP , in my opinion,  makes  it pointless, I suspect what you have in your case are pointless figures when it comes to comparing BT and EE .

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Use  your address ( if sufficiently interested ) in this checker to show the predicted speed for your location, it’s much more accurate than the arbitrary average speeds ISP are required to advertise.

FTTC is sold in three versions, 40,55,80Mb , a confusing element with BT is the base 40Mb profile is called Fibre Essential , and the social tariff ( two versions 40 and 80Mb ) are called Home Essentials , you call you what you have with BT  ‘ essential fibre’  this isn’t either products  name , but is similar enough to them both to be confused with each other …..EE may use different names for their products.

FYI , if a line were only capable of ( for example ) 30Mb because of the distance to the cabinet, then the higher speed profiles 55Mb and 80Mb are unachievable and would  be a pointless purchase if download speed is the most important thing ,  30Mb on an 80Mb profile isn’t better than 30Mb on a 40Mb profile ( when it comes to downloading ) but an 80Mb profile will probably be more expensive than a 40Mb profile.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

@iniltouswrote:

EE may use different names for their products.

Sadly the limited imagination/vocabulary extends to the entire EE range! 🙄

rbz5416_0-1719220898552.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Hi iniltous

The results were quite interesting, suggesting a theoretical maximum upload speed of 220, given BT Wholesales speed tests show an upload speed of between 130 and 150Mbps

Ewan1_0-1719231599287.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

The OP was clearly about FTTC ( Fibre To The Cabinet ) the section of the DSL checker posted clearly shows WBC FTTP , Fibre To The Premises.

The constraints of FTTC don’t apply to FTTP .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Interestingly, there is a survey on ISPReview this morning that seems to suggest EE are going backwards with regard to speed.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/06/top-fastest-uk-mobile-and-home-broadband-isps-for-h1-2...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Pretty much no residential ISP offers that 220Mbps upload apart from one that I know because I asked on another forum: 

Do any Openreach ISP's actually offer 220Mbps Up? :: Fibre Broadband :: think broadband

.......and its unreasonably expensive for residential which is criminal considering alt nets offer 600Mbps up and down for around the same as a BT900 product. Apparently Openreach charge and absolute bomb for it....passed onto the customer.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 133644.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-24 133922.jpg

I just dont get it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

What a pointless article, what use is a statistic that presents the ’ average’ speed of a companys potentially millions of customers ? EE coukd have had a fantastically successful sign up campaign but the majority of these new customers happened to be in ‘slower’ areas , yet this editor doesn’t portray it as a positive , to take the article to it’s logical conclusion, woukd be for EE to refuse to provide service to any potential customer that will negatively impact the a completely pointless ‘ average speed statistic’ …imagine the conversation,
punter ‘ I’d like EE broadband please ‘ ,
EE sales rep ‘ I’ll just check your potential speed , oh you are likely to get 50Mb , our national average is 60Mb , so by offering you and customers like you , will damage our average speed statistics , and some industry websites seem to think that nonsense is important, so we don’t want your business, bye .
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

What’s to get , if symmetric speeds are important , OR have a range of leased lines products , if a residential customer wants symmetric speeds and an Alt Net offers it , use them , the vast majority of internet traffic on residential is massively biased towards download ….unless someone is shifting massive files or video upstream, 900Mb upload ,( or 500 or 300 ) is just not important to the normal usage type customer,
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Just being present on these forums gives me an idea of the varying satisfaction with BT as an ISP, whether that is by the apparent lying of agents on phones, mis-information, mis-selling, terrible performance, long outages, complaints etc etc.

But my experience since Jan has been 100% uptime and 900/100 all day every day, not one TV outage either.

Important for context also, not many people with good service come on here and post, "everythings great, okay bye".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings