cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
empress48
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Higher temperatures the line noise is back with a vengeance and plays havoc with the internet

Go to solution

Firstly I want to mention that I have an engineer coming on Monday. 

I just would like to know if others have had similar issues.

Each year as the temperatures slowly rise the crackling in the phoneline returns.

We had an engineer out last year (and the year before) and he checked the connection and at first there was no noise it took quite some time until it started. He then changed the wires of our connection and everything was perfect for the rest of the year. Yes we had the occasional crackling but it never was so bad that it would cut off the internet.

During winter it was even better. Hardly anything at all.

A couple of weeks ago the crackling was back, it was a warm sunny day. Then the cold wind came and it was rather chilly and the crackling vanished completely. I had for 1 week a phone connection one could only dream about. Just perfect. And we thought YAY! Finally!

Yesterday, in the middle of the day, I wasn't using the phone, as I was checking out some stuff online zapp the internet went off. I was like, what's going on now?!? 

It went off again watching BT Sport later that day. So annoying!.

After that it was OK.

This morning my finace rang up his mother and he said the crackling was so bad and loud it was deafening. He could hardly understand his mother and then the phoneline just disconnected. 

Of course the internet went down at the same time.

He tried to call again and the noise was very bad again.

The internet went up and down like a yoyo for about 30 minutes

I tried to do a line check via browser which turned into one heck of a pain in the backside because the internet just wouldn't stay up long enough.

Later today my mother rang and we got cut off twice and the crackling was horrendous.

I have 2 micro filters plugged in. I have now plugged a phone in without extension. Still loud crackling.

I have also replaced the TP-Link N600 with the Home Hub 5. Still loud crackling BUT the HH5 seems a bit less sensitive and internet doesn't go down which is a bonus.

I have done several quiet line checks and it's crackling galore.

Why? Why does it come back again and again for the past 4 years each time it gets warm. I could understand 40C plus temperatures but not below 20C. We've been in this flat for 11 years and never had issues in the beginning. It is so frustrating to have to send for an engineer every year for the same problem. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Higher temperatures the line noise is back with a vengeance and plays havoc with the internet

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
it sounds like an intermittent fault which are difficult to locate
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Higher temperatures the line noise is back with a vengeance and plays havoc with the internet

Go to solution

Hi @empress48 and thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry you're having so many problems with the noise on the line. Have you reported this to 151 again? If you don't get anywhere with that let me now and I'll be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
empress48
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Like I said I have an engineer coming on Monday. I will see if he can fix it.

I'll get back to you if I need to.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
empress48
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Engineer came. He checked the line up to the building and that was OK. Then he checked from the flat and heard all the noise.

Then he checked all the connection point within the tower block. Which took him a while.

He came back and reported that he found corroded connections. He told me when that happens each time we use the phone there is like an electrical spike and the internet gets thrown off and it causes this loud crackling.

And he said as well it is caused by weather causing condensation and heat.

He has sorted it everything out and we have now a super quiet phone line and a stable internet.

Fingers crossed it'll last longer than 12 months this time. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Good result 🙂
0 Ratings