cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 17

Home Hub 5 daily reconnection/low speed problem that BT can't seem to understand and fix

I have BT Infinity 2 and Home Hub 5 (HH). Since I got connected in January (9 months and counting), twice a day the HH reconnects (to the exchange?) and over time the line speed at reconnection creeps down (due to DLM?). I have gone from several days of full speed (78/19) before it slowly declines to lower speeds (35/7) over the course of a week or so.

I have had 4 OpenReach engineer visits and a replacement HH, but to no avail. I seem to be stuck in a loop and don't know how to get out of it. Here is the loop:

1. BT runs an automated diagnostic, which says I need to have an engineer visit
2. The engineer comes out, he tests the line and says I have a better than tolerance line and should not experience any problems
3.a On one visit he reset the digital line management (DLM) and my speed went back up to full speed, but then it declined.
3.b On one call I got a new HH and the speed went up a bit, but not full speed and then it declined.
4. At this point, I patiently wait and see the speed decline and then I call BT again and back to 1.

How can I get out of this loop and the poor engineers loop too because I have had the same man each time and he's frustrated with being asked to do the same thing with no improvement. Part of the problem is when I have a technical person on site I can't really explain what has happened up to this point, I am the gap because BT and OpenReach aren't giving each other enough information.

BT runs an automated test that the agent can't tell me anything about. The automated test triggers an engineer visit and this is why my engineer comes out. The agent doesn't know or can't follow that I'm saying that I've done this several times and want to do something else. The agent can't tell me the exact tests that are run. They can't for "confidentiality reasons" tell me what the test results are, nor tell me what it is they have seen that warrants and engineer visit so I have no idea why the engineer has arrived.

The engineer arrives and he says, "oh you again" and we go around in a loop. He generally has a very small amount of information in his notes. For example last time he had "do Brandenburg test", which he said was pretty unrelated to the problem I describe to him. Anyway he will always do as he's asked and run other line tests and he says yet again I am running on a perfect line.

On my last visit from the engineer I tried to get more clarity. He said he wishes that if they've run a test and identified a problem they would tell him and me what test and what problem. If they know there is a problem he can fix it rather than just turn up and do nothing.

I really, really want someone from BT and OpenReach to talk and to allow me to be part of it. I am sure that if we are clearly identifying that the line is not at fault it much be at other ends of the line. Either the HH is the problem or the other end of the line is the problem. If I have had the HH replaced does that mean that a) it's not the HH or b) it is the HH and all HH are flawed. Or does it mean that the problem is at the other end. I don't know what goes on when the cable leaves my house. I've heard there is an exchange (slightly facetious sorry) and green box and something called D and E which routed between fibre and copper. A diagram would probably help, but I digress.

So what can I do? I don't know enough to get higher up the chain of command at BT to someone that can help and I can't get the engineer to fix it or to understand or diagnose the problem. Am I doomed to repeat this or can BT get their act together. I have had this problem since day one, which is now 9 months.

TL;DR BT Home Hub 5 reconnects, BT can't fix, calls engineer, engineer can't fix, resets speed, but it declines and repeat.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Home Hub 5 daily reconnection/low speed problem that BT can't seem to understand and fix

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number xxxxxxx on Exchange X is served by Cabinet X

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    
FTTC Range A (Clean)8072.62020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8062.42019--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Re: Home Hub 5 daily reconnection/low speed problem that BT can't seem to understand and fix

VDSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 05:38:35
Downstream:46.28 Mbps
Upstream:16.6 Mbps
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34343311
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 29/08/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 05:40:33
6. Data rate:16996 / 47388
7. Maximum data rate:33402 / 85932
8. Noise margin:12.7 / 11.2
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 11.8
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 11.8
11. Data sent/received:1.3 GB / 927.1 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-CNMQ
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTWifi-with-FON
19. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS disabled
20. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
21. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
23. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
24. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
25. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
26. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTWifi-X
27. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 150 Mb/s)) 20 MHz, WPS disabled
28. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
29. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
30. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
31. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
32. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:None
33. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
34. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-CNMQ
35. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 80 MHz, WPS enabled
36. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
37. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
38. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTWifi-with-FON
39. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 80 MHz, WPS disabled
40. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
41. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
42. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
43. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
44. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
45. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
46. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTWifi-X
47. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)) 80 MHz, WPS disabled
48. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA and WPA2
49. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
50. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
51. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Disabled
52. 5 GHz Wireless security:None
53. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
54. Firewall:Default
55. MAC Address:18:62:2c:3d:d9:2c
56. Software variant:-
57. Boot loader:-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

It's clear you have a fault as your noise margin is way above the target of 6.
What you need is a new engineer.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Message 6 of 17

Oh. Thanks for some help, I'm very happy to have a bit of new information.
What are the two numbers and which should be <= 6? This will help me talk to the engineer.

8. Noise margin: 12.7 / 11.2
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

They both should be closer to 6, until the upstream and downstream data rates reach the cap of around 20 and 80 Mbps.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Message 8 of 17

So, t's not a noise ratio (12/11) itself, which thinking about it is greater than 1 (which is either all signal or all noise), it's one noise margin for up and one for down.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Yes, that's it.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Message 10 of 17

Thanks. I shall await the engineer's visit and see if we can take the new information and do something with it. In the meantime I'll try to read up on the noise margin for BT and see if I can get a little more understanding.
0 Ratings