Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supershearny
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 5 keeps resetting/disconnecting every day

Hi All

Since switching to BT infinity 2 and having the new home hub 5 router it keeps rebooting itself/disconnecting pretty much on a daily occurance. Does anyone else get this issue? It always reboots at night the majority of the time and i have had 2 reboots tonight in the space of an hour.

I have tried resetting the router back to factory defaults which has made no difference. I have managed to have a constant connection for 5 days this week which is probably its best record so far. I did previously have fibre with sky and had no trouble with their router which was solid and my connection would remain solid for months on end.

Any advice apart from buying a different vdsl router?

Thanks

Liam

Here are my current home hub 5 line stats:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ42434433
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 12/09/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 01:02:43
6. Data rate:9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:31438 / 89136
8. Noise margin:21.8 / 19.8
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 14.6
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 14.7
11. Data sent/received:24.9 MB / 121.6 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 5 keeps resetting/disconnecting every day

Are you sure you are on Infinty 2. Your stats look more like you are on Infinity 1. If you are on Infinity 2 your noise margin is over the optimum of 6 which tends to indicate a problem with your line which could be causing the disconnects or conversely the reboots/ disconnects of the Homehub could be affecting your stats.

Use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
supershearny
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Sorry yes i am on BT inifinity 1. Im on the unlimited 40mb option. My disconnects never seem to affect my ip profile at all as i always reconnect at 37mb which is the top speed i always get.

Anyway here are my results:

bt.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If your IP profile is staying as it should be and your stats look OK for Infinity 1, it is probably the HH5 that is causing your problem. There are a number of threads about it causing disconnects.

Some posters have reported that the disconnects eventually subside while others have said that they don't and while you should not need to do this the only "fix" that seems to work is to get an Openreach modem from an auction site and connect the HH5 to the modem rather than using the onboard modem or to buy a third party VDSL modem/router.

supershearny
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I thought you might say that. I used to have one of those openreach modems whilst on sky fibre but unfortunately i chucked it out upon moving to bt and having the home hub 5.

Looks like i may have to buy one again as i suspect i may just be wasting my time in reporting this issue to bt over the phone.

I thought the whole point of the home hub 5 router was to get rid of the openreach white boxes. Seems to me like the HH5 is not fit for purpose.

I also suspect that BT wont admit to this issue with the HH5 and are unlikely to release a new firmware update to try and fix this issue?
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 6 of 11

Agree with gg30340 post on the white openreach modems or a high end all in one with similar features to the HH5. (eg fritzbox Draytek ect )

A recent thread as your not alone.....

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Home-Hub-5-frequently-disconnects-regret...

I had the same issues earlier in the year,  so don't expect a quick fix .. 😞  

0 Ratings
richy17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

This may or may not help you but back in the days of home hub 1 and 2 I went through half a dozen hubs that kept randomly rebooting.  It turned out it was the surge protector it was plugged in to.  Took nearly 6 months to figure out and I still dont know why as the surge protector was fine and wasnt affecting the other things plugged into it, it just seemed it didnt work well with home hubs.

I use a TP link AC1750 router now with an openreach modem.  Home hub 5`s dont work well with DLNA and it was causing me a headache trying to stream movies.  Now everything is peachy

0 Ratings
supershearny
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Does the HH5 and openreach modem combo wort ok with bt vision still?

Richy17 - I guess you spent about £120 in the end just to get a stable connection? Was it fairly easy to set everything up with your tp link router? Do you have bt vision working with your setup?

I have heard even with the alternative expensive vdsl routers it can be hard to get bt vision working without the homehub.

I am really considering buying an openreach modem at the moment as my longest connection has been 7 days so far and rebooting 3 times tonight Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
supershearny
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Also can anyone recommend one of these?: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TD-W9980

For around £70 seems a pretty good price for a vdsl router..

0 Ratings
supershearny
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Just a quick update:

I have now purchased an unlocked huawei openreach modem to test with my home hub 5. Im going to monitor my uptime over the next few weeks and see if things have improved now im not using the hh5's build in vdsl modem

0 Ratings