cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hcharge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Home Hub 5 problems with other router connected.

Go to solution

So here's a bit of a strange one...

I've had the HH5 connected as just a simple router (disabled both WiFi radios 2.4 and 5GHz) for about 4 or 5 months, with the HH5 plugged into my DIR-655 which I use for WiFi. Randomly on Friday my internet connection stopped working, even the devices plugged in via Ethernet stopped working, and the HH5 kept doing its light cycle Orange, Green, Blue etc.

I rang customer support and was on the phone for 45 minutes or so until she said that she could see a fault on the line. So I just took her word for it and waited for an engineer to come. Except the day before he came, I thought I would just try disconnecting my router and switching the HH5's WiFi back on. And the internet connection magically came back to life! I cancelled the engineer and left the setup like this for a few days. Last night I tried putting it back to how the setup was before the problem started, and haven't had any problems so far.

Has anybody experienced anything similar? Is there some sort of "calling home" that the HH5 does? I presume there's no problem in me not using their router for WiFi!?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Home Hub 5 problems with other router connected.

Go to solution
A quick fix is to turn the wireless on the Homehub ON.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
hcharge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

So does this just need to be done every so often? And OK to turn it off afterwards?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
When would you do it every so often?
Why would you turn it off?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
hcharge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Because the router isn't in an ideal position in my flat, and I have concrete walls. So I have had to run an ethernet cable to my router which I have in the middle of the flat which provides the WiFi. It would be OK if the modem wasn't inside the HH5, but I'm stuck with it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
But if turning it on is a fix, why would you turn it off and break it again? You don't have to use it, just have it on.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
hcharge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Because it affects the other routers WiFi. I guess I could set it to a different channel and different SSID? Just seems stupid that the router has to have WiFi enabled to function properly, it's bad enough I have to use it at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@hcharge wrote:

Because it affects the other routers WiFi. I guess I could set it to a different channel and different SSID? Just seems stupid that the router has to have WiFi enabled to function properly, it's bad enough I have to use it at all.

You don't have to use it. You can either use an Openreach modem and your own router or a third party VDSLmodem/router.

0 Ratings
hcharge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Doesn't that affect using YouView for certain channels? And would I have to buy an OpenReach modem?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@hcharge wrote:
Just seems stupid that the router has to have WiFi enabled to function properly, it's bad enough I have to use it at all.

That's right, but it's because the firmware is now broken by the latest update and turning on the wireless is a fix.

It's not perfect, but it's better than having the Homehub rebooting all the time.

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings