Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Home Hub 5 wrong readings

Hi,

recently got BT Faster Broadband.

The Data Rate is higher than the Max Data Rate which is Incorrect:

Untitled.png

I was estimated 5-9Mb but getting 4.6Mb as shown

Is my connection wired incorreclty? Or any ideas what the problem is?

cheers

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Home Hub 5 wrong readings

That sometimes happens on the lower speeds. If you could get noise margin down to normal 6db then I would expect your connection speed to then be within your estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

It seems like my downstream data rate is locked at 4627 - it never changes

My Max data rate is constanly varying though,

this seems abnormal?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

The maximum rate will vary as line conditions change, this is quite normal.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Presumably self install so are you using the test socket with a new filter and see if that improves your connection by eliminating internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

The Data Rate is higher than the Max Data Rate - that's not normal in my opinion

The Data Rate does not vary, but the Max Data Rate does - strange

Surely the Data Rate should vary & the Max Data Rate should not vary?

0 Ratings
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Engineer Installed - he said he expected more speed out of the line

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

The max/attainable fluctuates during the day as line conditions change and at same time you should notice noise margin fluctuating slightly - this is normal. Your data rate will only change with a drop/reset of connection

i would not worry that data rate is slightly higher than attainable 

MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

"data rate will only change with a drop/reset of connection" - If I reboot my router might the Data Rate become higher?

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 10 of 13

@MaximusPrime wrote:

"data rate will only change with a drop/reset of connection" - If I reboot my router might the Data Rate become higher?

Be extremely cautious re: rebooting the HH, as too many disconnects/reconnects may be seen by DLM as a fault on your line, which could result in DLM "intervening" by raising your SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) in order to create a more stable connection.

If I were you, I wouldn't reboot the HH and just monitor the connection over time to see if it improves by itself, as DLM monitors the line and could improve your connection, if left to do its work.