cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Home Hub 6 Wireless Problems.

I had some issues with my previous home hub, so BT sent me a HH6 but I constantly have problems to get the wifi working.

I have tried splitting the channels but the same issue, it will work for a few days and then randomly no divices in the home can connect to it. 

It will just say "autencation problem" and constantly be in a loop trying to connect.

The problem happens to all the phones in the house plus the wifi extender in the plug socket. 

The router works perfectly with the wired connection to my PC, full speed and hasn't lost connection. 

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Home Hub 6 Wireless Problems.

Spend £35/£40 on a decent third party VDSLModem/router and save your self all the grief that the HH6 Smarthub brings.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 22

Hi @Bobbydigital

Have you or can you try factory resetting the HomeHub to see if that helps resolve this wireless issue.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating and renaming the SSIDs, you may have done this already.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

You may possibly have a faulty home hub, it has been known.

Or try @gg30340 suggestion, as it will prove whether it is a compatibility issue.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

You can also try changing the wireless mode from default 1 to either 2or3 and see if that helps your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

I have tried all the suggestions as I did look on google "home hub 6 wifi issues" and that was recommended.

I plugged in the HH5 and the wifi is perfect but the router it self is faulty and cuts out from time to time.

Is there any recommended 3rd party routers and do I need to obtain some login details for the 3rd party router in order to set it up? 

I remember a while ago I needed a username and password when I was running an old net gear router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

If you are still in a contract, you can ask BT for a replacement router to see if it fixes the problem.

As for a third party router, the TP-Link TD-W9970 costs under £40, is very popular, works well, and is very easy to configure. It has lots of extra features as well.

Specifications on this page https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

Full configuration details on my website link  Configuration settings for BT Broadband

If you must have dual wireless band, and you have a lot of devices near the router that support 5G , then the TP Link AC1200 or AC2800 are more expensive.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Nice one, thanks.

I will see if a replacement router is a posibility from BT, otherwise 3rd party it is. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 9 of 22

Can't see the point with replacing one POS with another POS.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

@Bobbydigital wrote:

Nice one, thanks.

I will see if a replacement router is a posibility from BT, otherwise 3rd party it is. 

Be warned, you may get some hard sell to persuade you to start a new contract, or buy extra services. I doubt that a replacement home hub will help, if its some form of incompatibility, or the three wireless channels that the home hub can only access, are congested in your locality.

That is the usual reason for de-authorisation and failure to reconnect.