Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MDR
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Home Move disaster

Go to solution

I moved house on 31st May and  prior to the move I followed BT advice to kick start Home Move...what a disaster. It's almost as if BT are tired of having customers. I cannot quite beleive the way this has been handled so far.

We upgraded last year from copper broadband to Infinity 2 - what a fiasco that was at the time. Here we are again. Unfortunately, due to the aging Openreach infrastructure in the area where my new home is we cannot have a Fiber service. Niaively, I thought 'that's OK just give me the fastest copper service available'. That's what the BT representative from the Home Move team breezily promised me when I placed my order on 10th May.  Here I am on the 15th June and I still dont have an activation date for my transfered and downgraded service. Apparently it is impossible for my Fiber service to be downgraded to standard broadband as part of the Home Move process. I can't quite beleive that BT have no mechanism or process in place to cover this eventuality given they must move people from fiber enabled areas to ADSL only areas. I cannot be the only person who has had to do this.

Anyway, they split my Home Move order into two orders, one for the phone line, the other for the broadband. I was told that the [phone line couldn't be connected until the 13th June because BT could not verify if a line was present or establish which services could be enable at my new home. This I found to be a bit bizarre because I was able to connect a reciver to the line on the 31st May and check the number assigned to line - the one BT had offered as being only possible after the 13th June once they had established that a line was present. At this point I was smelling BS but was prepared to go along with the farce becasuse, well, what was the alternative? The phone line was duly transferred and completed on the 13th June but now after two calls to BT customer support where I was given some very spurious excuses as to why no broadband sevice has been booked I am still without broadband. I was told this morning (15th June) that when BT try to place the order for ADSL2 + the system throws up an error message because I was on Infinity 2 at my previous property. What? Seriously? 

I even had one rep explain that fiber wasn't avaialble at my new address (this I know) and tried to sell me a new service as a new customer. That wasn't the deal. I am a BT customer who has moved house. I want my service transferred to my new address without distruption, I'm happy to go back to ADSL2 until Fiber becomes available at some point in the future...just crack on with setting me up with whatever is available please. 

Not only that, BT have simply removed the broadband order from my account and I can no longer track it. Delete it and it didn't happen?

The thing is, I have a good clean line with excellent stats for the conditions (aluminium overhead from the exchange to cabinet) and location. Snr is good and the downstream  line rate is 11150 kbps which is fairly good for the distance from the exchange. BT cant seem to co-ordinate activating a service on it.

Here's what I think:

1. BT strategy is to refuse customers to downgrade from Fiber to copper easily as a matter of policy. Reps have to convince customers to stay on Fiber and do not have the approval authorisation to push a downgraded service order.

2. The idiots that set that policy forgot that there are cases where the downgrade is not  the customers choice but forced by the crumbling outmoded infrastructure limping along due to lack of investment and 'that'll do, rember the shareholders dividend' attitude. 

3. my order is stalled until someone senior approves the 'downgrade'.

4. An estimate of the activation date of the new service has never been given to avoid the £12.50 per day compensation I would be entitled to if BT were honest and ethical.

5. BT have removed the broadband part of my Home Move order from my account to be extra super safe that I can't complain and demand satisfaction.

6. I will be complaining to Ofcom.

7. Someone else will get my money going forward unless BT start playing straight with me. 

Am I just unlucky or is this systemic failure the latest Harvard buisiness school business model nonsense swallowed by senior exectives and the next big thing??  Monetise misery??

Who knows?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home Move disaster

Go to solution

I have asked the forum mods who are BT employees to try and help you  they will post here  after you complete the form it can take 2/4 days for your form to reach top of inbox and mods will contact you  mods reply in strict order of forms receieved to ensure everyone treated equally

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @MDR,

Thank you for posting.

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry things have gone so badly wrong with your home move order. I'll be able to help put things right. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
MDR
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks PaddyB. I have sent a fairly detailed message with full explanation with router stats etc. Suffice to say being around 2.7 km from the exchange I was hoping for more than G.dmt and a variable 1.5 - 3.3 Mbps down and 0.3 Mbps up on a line with attainable sync rate of over 8000 kbps down and 1000 kbps up.

Before the G.dmt link went on the line stats showed an attainable rate over 11000 kbps down and 1500 kbps up. Disapointment doesn't come close when Fiber at my old address was a steady 60 Mbps / 11 Mbps after 3 engineer visits.

I can only assume SMHPR (Hampden Row) exchange is stuffed full of old 1990s junk that belongs on eBay hanging off the end of a drop wire made of recycled bacofoil and coke cans...

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks @MDR. I can see that it's in our queue now. It may take us a couple of working days before we can get back to you but we will.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@MDR I tried calling but missed you so I've sent you an email reply. 

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@MDR

Pop in you new postcode here and you will find out what plans there are for Fibre. 

Who knows it may even been very very fast fibre.... 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@MDR I've been calling but have been unable to reach you, would you be able to get back to me on this thread or via the email I sent to let me know if you're happy that the changes I've made with your connection?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@MDR Thanks for speaking with me today, I'm glad your connection has improved. If you need any help in the future post back and we'll be happy to help Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings