cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smudger15mini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Home broadband preventing use of Sky Sports App?

Go to solution

Through my Virgin Media package on the mainland, I have access to Sky Sports on my iPad when I travel. This works everywhere I go except when I am at my second home on an island off the west coast of Scotland. BT are my phone and broadband provider on the island where I have FTTC . I have tried using the SkySports app at various WiFi’s spots elsewhere on the island and it works perfectly EXCEPT when I’m at home. This weekend we discovered that my Father’s iPad and SkySports is similarly afflicted.

Up until about a month ago everything worked fine then the hub gave up and had to be replaced and the engineer had to guddle about in the cabinet. Since then it’s been stuffed and the Wi-fi speed has dropped considerably.

1) Has anyone else experienced problems with SkySport App being ‘blocked’ by their BT broadband?

2) How do you get customer services to accept there is a problem? The noise on our line is now so bad that when someone called from BT (I think it was genuine and not a spoof call) all I could make out was BT and Broadband and when I said I couldn’t understand what they were saying they hung up on me!

Our download has gone from 17mbps to around 5 or 6 but customer services refuse to acknowledge there’s a problem. 

Help.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Home broadband preventing use of Sky Sports App?

Go to solution

If there is noise on your line you need to report a telephone fault and NOT a broadband fault. Once the telephone fault has been repaired your broadband will improve.

Until that has been resolved there is nothing that you or BT can do to improve your broadband.

One thing you must do before reporting the fault is to try connecting your telephone to the test socket on the master socket. If the noise is still there the fault is at BT's end. If the noise has gone the fault is at your end and BT will charge you to fix it.

When you connect to the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". f the are not it means you have "star wiring" and that will need to be fixed.

Test socket.jpg

Smudger15mini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Problem is that having done the line test etc, the customer service chap/ess tells me they have tested the line and there is no fault (done online as cannot make out on call). 

The online broadband test never completes or reports because it states there is a fault.

I know both are separate issues but when the hub went faulty the engineer tested the socket etc and went to the cabinet to twiddle. He came back saying “it’s a mess”, gave us a replacement hub (not a like for like but just what he had in the van...a used hub5 instead of  Smarthub) and since then it’s gone downhill. 

If I were to get c/s to accept there is a line fault and send the engineer, do I then have to start the whole palaver again if bb speed doesn’t improve?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

As I said in my post, report noise on the line as a telephone fault NOT a broadband fault. Don't even mention the broadband because at this stage it is irrelevant.

If the line is noisy it will greatly effect your broadband. You have to have the noise fixed first before trying anything else.

Smudger15mini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
And as I have said, the chap/ess in customer service states there is no fault when they test the line yet it is noisy when we try to hear during a conversation despite our testing as per your instructions. Is there a secret to getting the c/s agent to believe you?
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@Smudger15mini

If you follow the instructions of @gg30340  and report the noise on your phone line they will send an engineer out, once at your property if the noise is present it will get fixed. 

It is not a case of getting someone to believe you, its about getting it resolved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Did you report it as a telephone fault or a broadband fault?

0 Ratings
Smudger15mini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Telephone.

Oh, and in the past the line was faulty. We couldn’t make or receive any calls and had to buy a mobile with which to contact c/s. We were told there was no fault on the line and, when we said there most certainly was because we couldn’t make any calls, we were told in no uncertain terms that we were wrong because they had tested the line and we were speaking to them! It was pointed out that we had had to buy a mobile just so that we could report the fault.

The last visit by the engineer was the 5th or 6th in 2 and a half years.

0 Ratings
Smudger15mini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
But as I said, I report the noise, they test the line their end, say there is no fault or interference and no engineer required.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.