cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 76

Re: Home hub hasn't arrived yet

The filter goes into the test socket when you've removed the faceplate.

When you remove the faceplate, it disconnects any internal wiring you have which often are is the cause of poor speeds or dropping connections, as they act as an atenna inducing "noise" onto the circuit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 52 of 76

You will need to use a filter as a converter, the DSL lead (RJ11) won't fit in the socket.

0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 53 of 76

Ok did that and my speeds on LAN for my pc were still around 15 down and 0.9 up. However my phone on wireless is getting 25 down but 0.5 up. Speeds very similar in test socket. Is that just my speeds now?? Or are BT right in saying there's a fault.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 76

Can you post the router connection stats again?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 55 of 76

Sugar... I should of thought of that. I switched it back over and I've got family working from home so I won't be able to switch it again for a few hours.
0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 56 of 76

Is it possible that these are the best speeds I can get?? It doesn't make sense why my phone can get almost twice the speed of my pc despite my PC being connected via Ethernet
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 57 of 76

@Littlepace wrote:
Is it possible that these are the best speeds I can get?? It doesn't make sense why my phone can get almost twice the speed of my pc despite my PC being connected via Ethernet

No, you should be able to get a faster connection speed, which is why you need to look at the connection speed while connected to the test socket

When plugged into the test socket, all extensions that you have, should be totally dead, with no dial tone on them.

If they are not, then the extensions are connected to the wrong place, and will affect your speed.

If there is a wiring issue then BT will fix it for free provided it is reported within 28 days of your activation date.

0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 58 of 76

Ok, I'll check again in a few hours and post back the router stats
0 Ratings
Littlepace
Contributor
Message 59 of 76

My apologies for the delay! I've had a hectic few days and haven't had a good chance to sort this out. I'll give a quick update as to where I am. Spoke to BT about the supposed "Fault on my Line" and we had an engineer booked out for Next monday to come fix it. I then get a call saying that the fault has been fixed from remote and there is no longer a need for an engineer visit, disappointing as I was hoping the engineer would be able to give me a new Hub and help sort out my speeds, Should I request another visit?. I'm still having the same speeds as before. Getting better speeds with my phone when close to the router (About 20-25 down at best), but my PC (Connected via ethernet) is still getting between 10-15 down and about 1.0 upload. Webby, you asked for the router stats when plugged into the test socket and I've got them now. (See Below). I spoke to someone on BT live chat asking if we could have a hub that is actually compatible (Smart Hub 6) to replace this one I've bought from Argos. He told me it would cost £50 pound. Surely I shouldn't have to pay for a new home hub when I've paid for the upgrade and should have had one sent out already. Any help either about my low speeds or getting a new hub is appreciated. Cheers.

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors (Pkts)

WAN

Name Connection Type VPI/VCI or VID IP/Mask Gateway DNS Status
br_8_35_1Bridge8/35N/AN/AN/AConnected
pppoe_ptm_101_0_dPPPoE10186.167.199.201 /32172.16.16.159194.72.9.34 213.120.234.46Connected

IPv6 WAN

Name Connection Type VPI/VCI or VID IPv6 Address/Prefix Length Gateway DNSv6 Status

LAN

MAC Address:70:4F:57:09:21:4E

IP Address:192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

DHCP:Enabled

IPv6 LAN

IPv6 Address:N/A

Prefix Length:64

Autoconfiguration Type:RADVD

Wireless

Schedule:Disabled

SSID:TP-LINK_214E

Channel:Auto(Channel 5)

Channel Width:Auto

Mode:11bgn mixed

Security:WPA/WPA2 - Personal

MAC Address:70:4F:57:09:21:4E

Max Tx Rate:300Mbps

WDS Status:Disabled

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 76

What speed where you promised, as you are slightly under the minimum for range A?

0 Ratings