Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: Home hub sync limit

Go to solution

@threetreesderek 

yes but wireless and not the accepted ethernet speed test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

Yes @imjolly that is accepted, though surely if the test is from BT servers to the hub (i.e. tests the BT network, through the DSL link to the hub), then it doesn't make a difference if the device which initiated the test was on WiFi or not? As I understand this last test is the same one the BT support agents use to diagnose any issues.

In any case, I may have dragged this slightly off topic - the original question was about capping of sync speed by the cabinet. SNRs on the downatream side have been consistently 7+ since the recent DLM reset, so I think the cabinet is applying a maximum sync speed limit, perhaps linked to a 40/10 package configuration.

Are there options to remove that limit since the line capability has improved?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

It's quite likely that BT have you provisioned on 40/10 due to your estimated speeds rather than a DLM/cabinet imposed cap/banding. If they re-provision you on the 55/10 it won't affect your upload speed as it's already synced as fast as the line conditions allow. 

However it would give you a little bit more download speed and depending on your cabinet type (if it's Huawei) may give you close to 50MBit if the line conditions allow DLM to drop the target SNR to 3dB. 

I've seen some others here in the past in the same situation get the attention of the mods who organised a re-provision but it may be worth your while trying to push for that with a telephone support agent in case they don't see this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

@bkehoe 

I can see what you mean but if you check message 1 you will see there is down connection speed shown on dslchecker results of 43mb on 12/2 so cannot be provisioned wrong   more likely restricted due to instability  or line noise hence higher that normal 6db noise margin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution
Yeah I noticed that and I was just presuming it was a glitch for 2 reasons - I've seen figures above the package limit there before when engineers have been in attendance diagnosing lines and also, if you look at the dates versus the time the modem has been synced it also doesn't make sense;- modem synced at 40MBit since 11th for over 1 day up until he posts on the 12th, and the observed figure is also supposedly on the 12th which is clearly not the case.
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

not seen any glitches with dslchecker results

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks @bkehoe

I did have a long call with a support tech on the 12th including plenty of diagnostics, so it would not surprise me if there was some kind of glitch caused by that. I suppose it is possible that he reprovisioned the line during testing and then set it back. 

If the answer is to wait until the cabinet makes a new measurement and then come back, then I will do that. 

My HH5b was factory reset with no advance warning at 0915 over the TR069 connection today, I hope because of someone looking into the upload issue. Straight after, it has synced at 40Mbps exactly again. 

Current stats:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 04:18:54

6. Data Rate: 6636 / 40000

7. Maximum Data Rate: 6636 / 43028

8. Noise Margin: 5.8 / 6.8

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

Support cannot reprovision a line so you can disgard that theory.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution
Thanks @pippincp.

It is a mystery then, I have been paying very close attention to resync count and rates recently, and I'm certain the modem stats have never peaked 40Mbps downstream sync, but also that SNRs have been very strong throughout, as the line stats show.

There was a DLM reset a short while back so I would imagine all banding would have been cleared, which is why I think this is likely to be a provisioning issue.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution
How long does the cabinet wait before it resets a max. Measurement?

Obviously at 40Mbps we will never exceed the reported 43Mbps and this curiosity (and our capped max. Sync speed) will be around for ever.
0 Ratings