Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astarin
Message 1 of 9

Home move, Fibre unavailable

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some advice on the situation that I'm in. I'm currently moving into a new build property which I was originally told would have FTTP. I went ahead and activated a home move a month ago now which keeps on getting delayed. BT said I could only get copper but they would find out once they get to the premesis and when they  find out we can sort a deal... this keeps getting delayed and is now set past my move in date.

I was told on the phone ro BT that I would have to sign up for a new 18 month contract at £45?!?! a month for basic 8mb BB, I dont even use my phone line and this seems insane to me. The sales woman I was talking to was quite pushy and it didnt seem like I had much of a choice but to go ahead and hope that the FTTP got installed and to accept the 8mb for now. 

I've since found out that the FTTP is a joint venture between Virgin and Barratt and that BT are only going to provide copper however... So it looks like I'd be stuck on 8mb BB, for 45 quid a month, with a phone line I dont use for 18 months.

The problem I have is that I'm about 10 months into my BT contract for Fibre right now. 8mb BB is going to be absolutely useless to me at the new property as I work from home sometimes (This barely worked when I was on a 15mb line nevermind an 8mb). Virgin can provide 350 and wont cripple me for the next 18 months.

I had raised a complaint but I'm struggling to get through to my advisor and I'm due to move in two days now...

On top of all this, this month I noticed my bill went up £2 by the looks of it? Which I'm pretty peeved at as I had no warning this was going to occur. The move is already stressful enough and it looks like I'm going to have to wait a month to get Virgin installed and even if I did want the 8mb BB, the engineer check has been delayed every week since I put the order in a month ago.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks,

Arran

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Home move, Fibre unavailable

If you decide not to go with BT when openreach make it available then you will more than likely have to pay a cancellation charge. That may be worth it to get fibre from virgin and much faster speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Astarin
Message 3 of 9

By the sounds of it BT have no plans to make Fibre available.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

IF BT are able to provide broadband at new home then even if you have fibre but can only get adsl then if you leave you will need to pay cancellation charge. It is only if BT are unable to supply broadband can you leave without cancellation fees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Astarin
Message 5 of 9

That seems absolutely insane. No one knows when they're going to have to move when renting, yet they lock people into an 18month contract.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 9

@Astarinwrote:
That seems absolutely insane. No one knows when they're going to have to move when renting, yet they lock people into an 18month contract.

You can take a broadband promotion with you when moving home, only the line is renewed for 12 months, you don't have to renew the broadband unless you change the package.

0 Ratings
Astarin
Message 7 of 9

Any broadband promotion comes with an 18 month contract from what I can see. Not sure how you can only have a 12 month line rental yet have an 18 month broadband contract when you cant not have a BT line. 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 8 of 9

New customers are all 18 months, you can get 12,18 and 24 months for existing customers at times, they vary weekly and monthly.

When moving home you must keep the line for 12 months minimum, hence the 12 month contract, however if you have an 18 month promotion it makes no difference in price as your package includes line rental, unless you cancel during the minimum term

0 Ratings
Astarin
Message 9 of 9

I was told when I rang initially I would be bound to a contract for another 18 months.

0 Ratings