cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nkjG4NvlQ3LI
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

HomeHub5 10.x.x.x IP addresses are invalid?

I've just been connected to a nice 80/20 line today, with the Homehub5. I have a problem - all my existing computers (of which I have over 50 - don't ask lol) have addresses in the range 10.x.x.x, yet the HH5 will only accept 192.168.x.x and 172.16.x.x networks. 

I definitely don't want to renumber my existing networks as it is rather complex and varied, all I want is to use the homehub as a gateway on a 10.0.0.x address for example like my other lines (I have several to other ISPs).

I tried the help chat system (which was a total disaster - they kept pasting me links on how to plug cables in) and they couldnt' understand that I didn't want to use the homehub as a DHCP server and they insisted I should stop changing the settings from the defaults.

As it is, my newly-installed line is effectively useless to me unless I buy another router to connect to my existing internal network - why on earth won't the HomeHub5 accept perfectly legal RFC 1918 addresses? Use of the three ranges (10xx, 192.168xx, 172.16xx) has been best practice for over 15 years - what gives?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: HomeHub5 10.x.x.x IP addresses are invalid?

What a cracking post and one I'll persue to get an answer.

The resolution would need to be in the form of a firmware upgrade, I know there is an upgrade in development following the trials which only finished on Sunday.

I'd be willing to bet no-one even thought of trying out 10xx IP addresses and it is an error of omission rather than a known and intended one.

I doubt if anyone will be able to assist here in the short term as 99.9% of us haven't even seen a HH5 (I have) let alone used one (I haven't).

I'll flag this for a mod to look at but without the firmware upgrade doubt if anything can be done.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 24

The HH3 will allow a 'configure manually' which could be used for 10.x.x.x, so not sure why they lost that on the HH5. However, the HomeHubs are for typical domestic use, not for best practice. I don't think 50 preconfigured computers comes under 'typical domestic use'.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 24

@sjtp wrote:
The HH3 will allow a 'configure manually' which could be used for 10.x.x.x, so not sure why they lost that on the HH5. However, the HomeHubs are for typical domestic use, not for best practice. I don't think 50 preconfigured computers comes under 'typical domestic use'.

Still a valid question though.

I'm itching to know why 50 PC's and multiple ISP's. The OP can send me a PM if he wishes.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
nkjG4NvlQ3LI
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

I like clusters 🙂 Due to many of the devices having alias adresses and/or multiple NICS, I can't even fit them in a /24 haha . FTTC is only just available in town here. This was also the first time the install engineer had seen a HH5.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 24

@nkjG4NvlQ3LI wrote:
I like clusters 🙂 Due to many of the devices having alias adresses and/or multiple NICS, I can't even fit them in a /24 haha . FTTC is only just available in town here. This was also the first time the install engineer had seen a HH5.

They are a rare breed ATM so understandable.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 24

Hi NkjG4NvlQ3LI,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  Ill be completely honest I have no idea what the answer to this question is, but I can find out.  I will raise this to the Hub team to see if they can give me an answer to share with you.  I will post back here once I get an update.

Thanks Pip for raising, I will be back as soon as possible.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
nkjG4NvlQ3LI
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

actually, 50 isn't all that much these days, when you consider a family of 5 (a house I admin a network on ) that has 30 different DHCP leases registered over the course of a week or so, only an average of 6 devices each. Mobile phone, cheap tablet, school laptop, games console, maybe an iPad - each for the 3 kids. Parents have personal and work phones, personal and work laptops, tablets, only 1 smart TV in the house though. Then there's the desktops....

Personally,  I heat my place with electric (no gas here) so I might as well be tinkering with old computers and keeping myself amused than sitting here cold and bored.

I'm more into routing protocols at the moment than clustering, my main ISPs are rather upmarket ones, the Infinity is really more of a novelty though it's my first "unlimited" connection, the dynamic IP and lack of IPv6 would be a definite no-no otherwise (I have a hard requirement for IPv6)

0 Ratings
nkjG4NvlQ3LI
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Thanks for the rapid replies everyone, it's heartening at least and a lot more help than half-an-hour's help chat got me this morning 🙂
0 Ratings
Aratark
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

You may also find you'll have to turn of BT Wifi to use to 10. range, as they will clash.  Possibly this is why the change as there were a large number of calls coming in with regard to not being able to get the 10. range working whilst it was still turned on.

0 Ratings