Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PM42
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

HomeHub5 constantly dropping broadband

I have had BT Infinity for about 14 months now and originally had the occasional drop of connection but over the past few months this has now reached a point where broadband connection is dropped on average 6 times a day.  ie. the blue power light turns off then goes red - sometimes but not always the broadband icon goes red too.

I have spent the past few weeks browsing these forums and have seen various messages and suggestions and so far have tried/checked the following:

- separated SSID channels - both with and without automatic channel selection - no effect

- checked download upload speeds both via WIFI and wired connections - no real difference between them - download speed is around 12-13 - in the beginning it was around 18-19

- I have an SSFP Openreach socket i have no other phones connected to this socket

I have previously tried calling the help centre but gave up after 3/4 hour of scripted nonsense where they kept changing their minds about what settings I needed to change on the hub.

Yesterday I tried the on-line chat (I'm pretty sure this is the same people but at least I could cook dinner at the same time).  She went through various questions and then said she'd run some diagnostics - after which she stated that I needed an engineers visit and it would cost me 130+VAT.  I declined this kind offer at the moment. 

On neither occasion were they prepared to listen to the point that there may be an issue with the hub?

My issue is this:

Nothing has changed other than a steady increase in the number of devices that we connect - however the issues in my mind are NOT to do with Wifi connectivity but with the HUB connecting to the broadband signal - so all the nonsense about changing SSIDs, turning off auto channel selection etc. etc. is irrelevant if the hub isn't getting the broadband signal through the Openreach socket. 

If i look at the event log, it shows a constant connect disconnect reconnect process.  (by the way it is also recording some system events as occuring on 7th May........predicting the future?)  Note this is only from the system filter of the event log. 

Recorded events

Time and date Message

17:31:33, 01 Apr.STP Alert: Port eth0 leaving blocking state.
01:01:48, 07 May.( 124.370000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
01:00:38, 07 May.( 54.380000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
17:26:30, 01 Apr.(14501.390000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
13:24:12, 01 Apr.(25563.040000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
06:17:33, 01 Apr.(24189.370000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
23:33:47, 31 Mar.(43166.390000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
01:00:58, 07 May.( 74.390000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
11:32:07, 31 Mar.( 1114.510000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
11:14:06, 31 Mar.STP Alert: Port eth0 leaving blocking state.
11:13:01, 31 Mar.(20176.480000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
05:37:18, 31 Mar.STP Alert: Port eth0 leaving blocking state.
05:36:08, 31 Mar.(68322.890000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
10:36:50, 30 Mar.(29850.870000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
02:19:50, 30 Mar.STP Alert: Port eth0 leaving blocking state.
02:18:44, 30 Mar.(18577.720000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
21:08:27, 29 Mar.(74750.230000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
00:22:02, 29 Mar.(37777.690000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
21:11:03, 25 Mar.(386866.710000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.
09:42:34, 21 Mar.(15478.010000) The system is going DOWN for reboot.

Data from the hub shows:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34823515
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 01:43:07
6. Data rate:5816 / 13749
7. Maximum data rate:6830 / 15213
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation:35.2 / 22.6
10. Signal attenuation:34.1 / 20.4
11. Data sent/received:384.2 MB / 6.8 GB

Firmware hasn't been updated since last July?  I know that there have been updates since then but not sure why the hub hasn't updated....not so concerned about this as have seen people reporting significant issues with v222?

Next week (when the kids are away) i'm going to switch off every connected device and monitor the hub for connections / disconnections to the broadband - maybe with this information i will get further.

Is there anything else i can do to confirm that the issue lies with the hub?  I'm reasonably competent with software and connections but in no way an IT expert, however I'm really unhappy at having to potentially fork out 160 quid for BT to say "not us mate - you're on your own!"

Can anyone recommend anything - or do you think the engineer visit is the only option?

Many thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: HomeHub5 constantly dropping broadband

As you have an SSFP have you tried using the test socket with a filter and see if that helps. Test socket arrowhead black

test-socket-thumb.jpg

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PM42
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi thanks for your reply.  Here are the results of the speedtester and the FFTC check

bt speedtester:

download 15.53

upload 4.77

ping latency 28.75

diagnostic test

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 12.46 Mbps

0 Mbps13.14 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.46 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-13.14 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 13.14 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 2.38 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

Exchange LLANTRISANT is served by Cabinet 13

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    
FTTC Range A (Clean)4935106.7--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)38.722.48.44.3--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

quiet line - i don't have a corded phone unfortunately - i did it on my cordless and yes it was quiet.

I havent tried the test socket yet - i need to find my old filters and also a screwdriver that fits.  I will try that later this evening.

however it does look as if these tests are showing a problem - can you tell if this is with my end or BTs end?

thanks again - really appreciate the help.

regs

PM42

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Have you tried connecting to the test socket?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
MaximusPrime
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

@PM42,

this was happening to me.

I got work done on my line to clear the errors but still disconnected

I'm just after getting myself a non bt router & I have had a stable connection & a 3.5Mb increase over the weekend

Early days yet, contact me in a week & I will keep you up to date

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

you need to connect to the test socket which I showed in a previous post and then post new router stats.  this will eliminate your internal wiring and also your faceplate from causing a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PM42
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Hoping to do this tonight when I get home - had to find my old ASDL filter first.

many thanks

0 Ratings
PM42
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Well unfortunately when I plugged into the test socket via an ADSL filter i couldnt get the hub to connect to broadband at all.  the hub went blue for about 10 seconds then kept turning red.

I've reconnected back to the  normal socket for now. 

Not sure what to do next.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

That does not appear right as the one place I would expect a connection is with a filter in the test socket of your master socket

when you connect to test socket do you get a dialtone?  When connected to test socket do any of your other sockets have a dialtone?

0 Ratings
PM42
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I know it is quite odd

i am trying to borrow an other filter from the IT guy at work!

thanks for your patience and continued help, I do appreciate it.

0 Ratings