cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eighteentee
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

HomeHub6 rebooting and broadband speed drop

Hi all, I have a really annoying problem, well two problems, which will not go away.

First, my Home Hub 6 (and previous HH3) keep rebooting- average 9 times per day.

Second, my speed has dropped from a stable 80meg down to 45 to 50 over the last 8 weeks.

Now for a bit of back story. For the last two years we've enjoyed fast download speeds at around 75 to 80meg. No problems with the router restarting or dropping connections etc. Around 8 weeks ago, the speed started to drop. Gradually at first down to 65 then 50 then 40. The last 4 weeks saw the router restarting multiple times per day.

I contacted BT who said there was a fault and an engineer would be sent out. He duly arrived a couple of days later and said that there was indeed a fault and he had corrected it (not sure how but I suspect some kind of line reset). He said the max on the line was 67 and had no idea how I was getting 75 to 80 in the first place. He mentioned that the hub might be the cause and that the new HH6s were much better than the HH3 I had. So I called up and entered into a new 18 month contract to get a new HH6. This arrived a couple of days later and I plugged it in. By this time the speed had dropped to 25. No improvement after 3 days and even that router was rebooting with alarming regularity. Once again back on the phone to BT who sent out the same engineer who informed me that he'd done a 'lift and shift' in the cabinet about 100m from my house and that was about as much as he could do.

Fast forward a few days and I'm back on the phone to BT and this time I got this issue escalated. An engineer came out (different one) and replaced the face plate on the wall and redid some of the internal wiring. Lo and behold, speed back up to 73 and stable connection.

One day later (today - I worked from home), the router has rebooted 18 times and the speed has dropped to 50.

Can anyone please help? This is driving me bonkers.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: HomeHub6 rebooting and broadband speed drop

Can you post stats from hh6. Advanced settings then technical log information 

can you connect to test socket with a filter even though you have a new filtered master socket

try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Eighteentee
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: HomeHub6 rebooting and broadband speed drop

This is the technical info:

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ81521672

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

19-Sep-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 32 Minutes 25 Seconds

Data rate:

19.00 Mbps / 60.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

26432 / 72681

Noise margin:

10.7 dB / 8.8 dB

Line attenuation:

15.1 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

32808 MB Uploaded / 38414 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-X7HF

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-X7HF

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

AC:3B:77:E1:2C:F7

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Looking further into the other event logs there are references to speeds and connections:

19:55:20, 19 Sep.

ppp:PPP: IPCP_NAK

19:55:20, 19 Sep.

ppp:PPP: CHAP_SUCCESS

19:55:17, 19 Sep.

ppp:PPP: CHAP_RESPONSE

ppp:PPP: LCP_GOOD_ACK

ppp:PPP: LCP_REQUEST

:PPPoE error: timeout

19:55:08, 19 Sep.

19:55:03, 19 Sep.

19:54:50, 19 Sep.

ptm0.101:VLAN VLAN_DATA connected

:connection ATM_TV disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

:connection ATM_DATA disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=70937Kbps, Up Rate=26733Kbps, SNR Margin Down=10.80dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB

19:54:38, 19 Sep.

:The LAN DHCP Server is active

19:54:32, 19 Sep.

:The LAN DHCP Server is inactive

19:54:25, 19 Sep.

:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

19:54:25, 19 Sep.

:VLAN VLAN_DATA disconnected

19:54:24, 19 Sep.

:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

ppp1:The DYN ROUTE [81.139.56.100/32 gw ] is deleted

ppp1:The DYN ROUTE [81.139.57.100/32 gw ] is deleted

19:54:22, 19 Sep.

ppp1:The WAN DHCPv6 Client Process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36

19:54:21, 19 Sep.

BR_LAN: Allocated prefix = fdaa:bbcc:ddee::/64 (valid time = 4294967295 / preferred time = 4294967295)

19:54:21, 19 Sep.

BR_LAN: Allocated prefix = fdaa:bbcc:ddee::/64 (valid time = 4294967295 / preferred time = 4294967295)

No access to other filters at this time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Re: HomeH ub6 rebooting and broadband speed drop

Using test socket with filter will eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem should check there is no dial tone at any extension when in test socket
What about quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Eighteentee
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Is it at all possible that the hub has a faulty power supply which is in turn causing it to reboot and the speed to drop?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Anything is possible but that is unlikely and more likely a poor connection or line noise hence why you should try test socket and the quiet line test

0 Ratings
Eighteentee
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Engineer has been again today and reset the line. The connection has maxed out at 60meg now. He's said there is most likely 'vectoring' on the line which is showing it down. The hub reports it can get a max of 80meg down. I've also got another replacement hub on its way to verify things. I suppose I need to now find out how to have the vectoring removed... All that said there's still no explanation as to why the speed has dropped along with the connection reliability...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

It's the connection dropping often then is causing the reduced speed as DLM tries to stabilise your connection

can you post new stats to see what has changed after engineer visit

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 10

If the engineer hasn't rectified the fault the the DLM reset is a waste of time.

Vectoring is only active on BDUK funded cabs, even then only limited cabs.

0 Ratings
Eighteentee
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Spoke directly to the chap handling my complaint at BT who confirmed that vectoring is applied to my line.

Here's where things get frustrating; for so long I have had problem-free 75 to 80 plus download speeds then suddenly no one can tell me why my speeds have dropped by over 25 meg. Nothing has changed in my house and listening to the engineer, nothing has changed outside either.

Why. Why is this happening?

0 Ratings