Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaser2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Homehub 5A connection issue after firmware upgrade

Go to solution

Hi,

Like so many others, my Homehub 5A works very intermittently after the most recent forced firmware upgrade. I have tried it in the master test socket, bypassing all the internal wiring and it still doens't work. I've also pin reset the device on many occassions, but it's not made any difference.

I've borrowed a Draytek 2860Vac, and it works perfectly in the same socket (apart from the fact I'm getting Infinity 1 speed when I should be getting Infinity 2 speed, but that's the subject of another thread).

I'm really disappointed that BT have broken my router with this forced update, and hope that they will either offer me a replacement, or fix the firmware in my unit. I daren't go through telephone support, though!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
chaser2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Homehub 5A connection issue after firmware upgrade

Go to solution

Right, a bit more information about my issue. With the router disconnected from the phone line, and a wired connection between the router and my PC, I can connect to the router for a very short period of time following a reboot. From this, I can see that firmware was definitely updated recently:

Capture1.JPG

If I try to access the troubleshooting page, I can intermittently get access, but then can't get any further due to time outs. Other times it times out before I get to the troubleshooting page. I was able to get access before the firmware update without any issue. As mentioned before I've hardware reset the router to factory default, and get the same issue with or without a connection to the phone line:

Capture2.JPG

At all times I get an immediate response to PING:

C:\Users\chaser2001>ping 192.168.1.254 -t

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Hope this helps with any investigations into the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @chaser2001 and thanks for posting.

Is there any noise on your line? Can you check that by connecting the phone to the test socket and dialling 17070 option 2. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
chaser2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@DavidM - there's no noise on the line. I tested this at the weekend when I was at the property. As mentioned in my original post, my Draytek router works just fine on the line.

I'm actaully away from the property right now, but I've have taken the faulty BT router with me (I've left the Draytek connected in the interim). This is why I've been testing the connection between my PC and the router without the router being connected to the phone line.

0 Ratings
chaser2001
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Just a quick update to close out this thread. My issue does seem to be related to the firmware upgrade - or the router has coincidentally failed at the same time. I've been supplied with a replacement HH5B which seems to be working fine. The faulty HH5A is to be sent back to BT for a forensic examination.

Many thanks to the forum moderators for helping to get this sorted.
0 Ratings