Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB80
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Homehub 6 keeps dropping out/restarting same time every night

Good evening, 

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I have just joined as I need some help. I had my broadband upgraded to Fibre in late February/early March and up to then had been using a homehub 3 with no problems. With the upgrade though I was told I'd need a newer one and got a homehub 6 but since changing it over the router drops connection/restarts itself every night at around the same time, sometimes more than once. Usually between 8-11pm.

I phoned to report it and the girl on the helpline reset the hub and sent a new one out as a replacement thinking the first was faulty. I never got new cables other than the power supply although she said it would have some but anyway I set it up this morning and it was fine until 8.30pm and now it's gone off twice already. This is really irritating as it makes all the on demand services on the tv go off and need to be reset. I can't move the hub to the master socket as the Freesat box is plugged into it. Please could anyone advise? Having to keep resetting everything is driving me crazy!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Homehub 6 keeps dropping out/restarting same time every night

@JB80 

Most likely interference being picked up on your phone line. Could be anything causing it, central heating boiler, light dimmers etc.

VDSL connections are very susceptible to interference compare to ADSL connections, and you need to eliminate any internal phone wiring, as that can pick up interference, especially if the home hub is plugged into an extension socket.

Are the home hub lights are changing colour when you get the disconnection?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

The only way to be  sure whether its interference within your house, is to plug the home ghub into the test socket for the period you get disconnections, an see if the problem is still there.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Have you tried connecting hub to master socket to see if that solves the problem. Which master socket do you have ?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JB80
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Hello, thank you for replying so quickly. 

Nothing to interfere with it as far as I know, I don't have central heating or light dimmers.

Yes the hub changes light colours, it suddenly starts flashing orange then all the lights go off briefly, starts up again going from steady orange/pink to blue. Takes about 30-60 seconds (this new hub seems quicker at  turning back blue).  I can't tell if it's the internet connection that goes off or the hub is for some reason restarting itself. My hub3 never did this.

No noise on the phone.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

If you are using an extension socket with a filter is there anything connected to master or is there more extension sockets?  Anything connected to other extensions?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JB80
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

If the master socket is the one by the front door it has an ADL filter box with the phone plugged into it. Small white box type with a very short cable connecting into phone socket. Phone socket has extension cable going to the lounge where the box is. That socket has a filter box with one plug above the other in one rectangle box that plugs directly into the socket. ADSL cable goes into hub along with power cable and grey cable for Freesat humax box. 

What is a test socket? 

The connection went off again last night twice after I first posted so it's currently worse than the first one.

0 Ratings
JB80
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

I looked up what a test socket is, I don't have one. What do I do now? 

I've also put a new ADSL filter on the main socket, should I do the same with the extension socket?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Does you master socket look like this fibre SSFP.jpg

0 Ratings
JB80
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Only the bottom bit, just a traditional phone socket. 

It cut out again earlier not ten minutes after I posted here so I phoned BT up. The woman said the hub was fine but there's a fault on the line somewhere between the socket and street box and has been a while. She couldn't see where exactly. She has arranged for an engineer to come out though they can't until the 16th! so guess I'll just have to live with it for now. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@JB80 

Is it one of these sockets?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

0 Ratings