I've made some changes to your broadband service directly with our supplier. It's due to complete on Tuesday. Part of my order is for a super stable service. I want to see if this will help you before we look into sending out any engineer. I can check in with you on Wednesday to see if you've noticed any improvement. Would this suit you ok? If my changes don't have the desired effect I can place an order to change you back to the current service within a couple of days.
Would there be any billing/costs for this change for me? I just don't want to be hit with any additional charges on my next bill/s or internet package contact renewals without knowing.
There will be zero additional charges for the changes that I am making for you. It won't affect your contract either. I won't make any changes that will affect the cost or contract length without discussing and agreeing beforehand
Okay, Daniel. I will wait and see if I get any improvements on Wednesday. Thanks.
The speed one would make ping worse, definately not for you or your issue.
Success! I am reporting back that there is a complete day and night difference with shadow. I tried this afternoon and it is working so much better now. Absolutely zero packet loss. Before packet loss was constant. The ping spikes are also tiny now, just a few ms here and there which doesn't affect the experience. Before I was spiking every few seconds going all the way up to 200ms at times. It was unworkable before but now it's great! I will make a new thread if I get issues again but I think this super stable change seems to have done the trick. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.