Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 46

Horrible ping spikes and packet loss

Go to solution

Hello, I recently subbed to shadow which streams a high spec PC to the user. Shadow recommends at least 15mb download and I have BT Infinity 1 which speedtest sites shows speeds of at 65mb+. However, when using shadow my connection is not consistent and I get massive ping spikes and packet loss. When setting shadow application to 40mb which is what is recommended by shadow for a 1080p with a 60mb+ connection it's completely not usable. When going all the way down to 10mb it starts to become usable but even on that low setting, I get packet loss. After talking with shadow support they have concluded my internet is at fault.

When giving my shadow account to my friend to test on her virgin meda broadband, she could get a consistent solid connection at 40mb setting with no packet loss or ping spikes.

My PC is connected to the router with an ethernet cable. Nobody else was using the internet in my house when I was trying to use shadow and nothing else on my PC would have been using any bandwidth.

Thank you

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 46

Re: Horrible ping spikes and packet loss

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

What is your upload speed, as that is also used when you are downloading. Its something people often forget, but its part of the TCP handshaking process.

If your upstream speed is low, then the faster you download, the more delay you are going to see. That is why its better at a lower download speed.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 46

Go to solution

Speedtest shows my upload at 18mb, which is faster than my friend who got an upload on a speedtest of 12mb, who can use the shadow service at 40mb.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 46

Go to solution

Then possibly your line has errors on it causing re-transmissions.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

I assume you are using a BT Home Hub?

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

See if it helps.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 46

Go to solution

Calling 17070 option 2, quiet line test, myself and my mother could both hear a very faint buzzing sound.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 46

Go to solution

@Taker44 wrote:

Calling 17070 option 2, quiet line test, myself and my mother could both hear a very faint buzzing sound.

It should really be quiet, as a buzzing sound could indicate a line fault which could be affecting broadband performance.

What does your master phone socket look like?

Master socket with one socket

Or

Master socket with two sockets

Does your phone line come from a pole, or underground?

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 46

Go to solution

Master socket looks like the first one from the first row with the openreach symbol on top.

Phone line comes from a pole.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 46

Go to solution

@Taker44 wrote:

Master socket looks like the first one from the first row with the openreach symbol on top.

Phone line comes from a pole.

Its that the only socket in the house?

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 46

Go to solution

There is another socket but it's not in use. We only use the master.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 46

Go to solution

@Taker44 wrote:

There is another socket but it's not in use. We only use the master.

Please can you connect things up as shown below, and see if you can still hear noise on the phone.

Also, when you are connected up as shown, can you please plug a phone into the other socket that you do not use, and make sure there is no dial tone on it.

infinity_test.jpg

Your extra extension wiring should be shown as connected to the back of that bottom section.

back_master_ext.jpg

If it not connected there, then there is a problem with the way your extension is connected.