Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 46

Re: Horrible ping spikes and packet loss

Go to solution

Okay so I did that and I still get buzzing on the phone on a quiet line test when connected to the test socket. I also had a second unused landline phone lying around and tested by connecting that, faint buzzing is still present on the test line.

I also asked my mother about the second socket, turns out it has nothing to do with the BT line and was something to do with some cable TV the previous owners of the house had. When BT connected to the house they told my mother to only use the master socket. So we only have one BT socket in the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 46

Go to solution

Its quite possible that the buzzing is causing errors on the line, which may be affecting your broadband performance.

Personally, I think the best course of action, would be to get the line checked by one of the BT moderators. They can test for line faults and monitor the overall performance including any error counts.

If they find a line fault, then they will pass it to Openreach.

They are quite busy at the moment, so it may be a few days before they can look at it, but they will take ownership, and keep you informed.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 46

Go to solution

@Taker44 I've sent you a private message with details on how you can contact the mod team, if you send over your details we'll be happy to help.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 46

Go to solution

Hi @Taker44,

I've ran a couple of line tests this morning testing specifically for a noisy line. We can't find any issues with it. Can you please review the following page: Engineer Home Improvement Service. That page will tell you when we charge for engineer visits. Also, go to this page Check your wiring and set-up - single socket and carry out the self help checks as they should also help prevent and charges being raised should we need to send an engineer about the noise on the line.

Also, do you still get noise on the line if you only have the phone plugged into the test socket without the Home Hub connected?

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 46

Go to solution

Hello,

I still get noise with only the phone plugged into the test socket without the Home Hub connected.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 46

Go to solution

Thank you @Taker44,

The engineer that I will be booking is only going out to test your line for the noise. They won't be there for anything related to the broadband service. I can book an engineer appointment for you. It’s free of charge if the problem is with our network. But if the engineer finds the problem is with your home wiring, your equipment, or our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property, you'll be charged £85 on your next bill. Before I can send an engineer out I need to speak with the account holder and confirm that they're happy for me to send one. Can you let me know a good time for me to call and speak with them?

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 46

Go to solution

My main issue is with my broadband though. If the engineer won't fix that then what would be the point of a visit? Is there no way for the engineer to fix that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 46

Go to solution

Noise on the line causes errors on the broadband which can cause the issue you are getting.

The only way to prove this, is to get the noise fault fixed, then see if the problem is still there.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 46

Go to solution

The account holder will be free for a call tomorrow any time after 2pm.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 46

Go to solution

Thanks @Taker44,

I'll ask my colleague @JohnC2 to call tomorrow. I'll handle everything else when I return.

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings