Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 46

Re: Horrible ping spikes and packet loss

Go to solution

What's the last possible time I could get this call today? Because it's almost 6pm and we are still waiting.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 46

Go to solution

Hi @Taker44,

Thanks for speaking with NeilO previously. I'll be in the office both Sunday and Monday. Can you let me know the best times to reach you over both days please? 

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 46

Go to solution

I will be free to contact on both those days you mentioned at any time.

0 Ratings
tomahawkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 46

Go to solution

HI Taker44,

If you could let me know how this turns out.

I have similar issues, one online activity such as just watching netflix seems to result in massive latency spikes even when only using a fraction of my bandwidth.

I haven't ever experienced issues like this with any other ISP in the past, it's very bizzare.

Tom.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 46

Go to solution

Sure, I will let you know Tom.

As of now, I had a phone engineer come out on saturday and he found no faults on my line after doing his tests. Right now I guess I'm waiting for further contact from BT either today or monday.

I know there is nothing wrong on my end, I have done everything I can, going as far as trying different filters and ethernet cable. But I still can not go above 10mb setting on shadow without getting insane packet loss and ping spikes. Despite everyone on the shadow forums and discord telling me I should easily be able to get 40mb on a 65+mb line. I can't even go up to 15mb. Plus my account works beautifully on my friends virgin media line at 40mb setting. I will keep on BT to get this resolved, in the past, BT has been good at fixing things so fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 46

Go to solution

Hi @Taker44,

I've been going over the engineer notes. They've stated that the line was noise free. They found no issues in the exchange or DSLAM. They also saw no number porting issue and didn't see any issues with your internal wiring that would affect noise on the line. As we appear to have ruled out the line at fault I'm going to treat this solely as a broadband fault. I'll be running tests on it today which you may notice on your end.

To be clear, are you only experiencing these issues with the Shadow gaming cloud service? Also, when you logged into your account on your friends connection are you using the same device to access their service? Are you using a wired connection each time? I was reading the Shadow FAQ's and noticed that they only guarantee FTTP and FTTB connections. They don't guarantee that it will work with the FTTC service that you are on. Your friend may be using an FTTP service with their provider. Regardless, I'll be testing your service and will be in touch.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 46

Go to solution

Hello Daniel.

Yes, the issues are with using shadow gaming cloud service.

My friend uses her own device to connect to shadow. I have both a laptop and a computer and I have tried shadow on both with an ethernet cable. My computer is a gaming PC that I keep updated and virus free and don't have much installed on. I made sure nothing else was using bandwidth, and have network bandwidth monitors to check.

My friend uses virgin media which from what I've read uses FTTN. It's similar to FTTC but uses coaxial cables to connect to the house instead of phone line. Someone more technical than me would know more as I only have been reading up the past few days while trying to figure this out. If being on FTTC is the reason why I can't use shadow that would be pretty disappointing but I don't want to assume that as of yet.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 46

Go to solution

@Taker44

@pippincp mentioned that VM use OFDM (orthogonal frequency division multiplexing) which explains the better performance.

Your issue is due to the fact you are streaming live data, which will, by its nature, be using the upload path as well. So the faster your streaming connection is, the more of the upload path is being used, and the worse the performance.

If you could get FTTP, then that should be better, otherwise I cannot see any solution, as FTTC  is never going to cope, due to its TDM (Time Divisional Multiplex) method of transmission, where multiple users are sharing a common path, and being held in a queue.

0 Ratings
Taker44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 46

Go to solution

Oh okay Keith, I think I understood what you are saying. If that's true then my only option would be to switch to virgin as BT don't offer anything but FTTC in my area and even if they did they would probably charge more than virgin.

A stupid question on my part but the thing confuses me about what you said about upload path being in use, my friend on has lower upload than me (she has 12mb while I get 18) but is able to use shadow at much higher bandwidth. Is that because of orthogonal frequency division multiplexing virgin use?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 46

Go to solution

If your friend is on Virgin Media, then that would be the reason.

0 Ratings