cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tanGee
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Horribly unreliable connection, BT support useless. What can I do?

I have been fighting this battle since I moved house 14 months ago to a semi-rural area. I have FTTC broadband, and can get a speed of around 14/1 on a good day. If this were consistent I would have no issue.

However I frequently experience long periods where the speeds drop significantly, often as low as 1-2mbps download, with initial connection delays to services, etc as well. The reason for this is that I am connected to a cabinet 1.3 miles away, and it would appear the long line is susceptible to faults. The really frustrating thing about this is that there is a cabinet less than 300m along a straight road that I can see from my driveway.

I have enquired several times about the possibility of getting my connection moved to this cabinet, offering to absorb the cost if it isn't ridiculous, and have even tried to get my local MP involved. I work from home, and have frequent business calls using Skype and other online services, which are impacted severely when the issues occur.

I have had maybe 4 engineer visits over the past year, and each time they have found a fault on the line and fixed it, but this is only a temporary measure. I have raised several complaints and have been contacted by first line support staff who don't seem to understand that the issue is intermittent, and they seem to dismiss it with "we can't see any issue on your line, we'll close the complaint". 

I finally gave up last week and submitted a complaint about how ridiculous this revolving door of faults/complaints is, how I don't see this becoming resolved without a cabinet change, and that I can't justify the money anymore, especially when a wireless provider has erected a mast in my area recently and claims (untested as yet by me however) that I could get a consistent 40/8 connection. I asked how much early termination of all my services would cost, but instead received a SMS saying that a fault has been found on my line and it has been raised to the engineering team.

Sorry for the wall of text above, but I feel like I've exhausted all of my "actually talking to BT employees" options, and figured that maybe some of the experienced folks here might have some advice/input/etc.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Horribly unreliable connection, BT support useless. What can I do?

Openreach will not move to you to a different cabinet to improve broadband speeds.

See this link and in particular the question "there is a cabinet near me already accepting orders.... "

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/when-can-i-get-fibre-faqs

You need to keep complaining to BT to see if they can either put pressure on Openreach, but given the number of  engineer visits you have had I doubt there will be anything they can do or to see if they will release you from your contract without penalty.

Ultimately you are too far from the cabinet to get a decent VDSL connection so the wireless broadband may be your best option.

0 Ratings
tanGee
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

@gg30340wrote:

Openreach will not move to you to a different cabinet to improve broadband speeds.

Yep, I've been told this several times...the annoying thing is I don't want to be moved for speed...whilst 14/1 isn't the fastest, it is perfectly adequate for my day-to-day usage. The issue I have is reliability, and it's just so frustrating that they are willing to pay engineers repeatedly to come and fix faults, but won't entertain trying to remedy the problem once and for all, with me even paying for their trouble.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @tanGee,

I am sorry to see that your issue has been ongoing for so long.

I'd like to offer you our help. We will do everything we can to help you.

To get in touch with us, click on my user name, view profile, and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser. Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you. It may take us 1-2 working days before we can get back to you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
tanGee
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Many thanks @DanielS - I have done so.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Please keep the forum updated with what happens. I am sure there will be many others interested to hear how this gets resolved.

0 Ratings